GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: m30 535i Part Throttle Flat Spot

Default m30 535i Part Throttle Flat Spot

My car has had this affliction for a while. Did a new o2, cap + rotor, air filter. Valves were done not to long ago, injectors are good. Under part throttle conditions 2-4k it almost feels like someone shuts the fuel off for a milisecond. I was thinking maybe the Airflow meter is the problem. All the little repairs helped the overall smoothness of the car - but there is still this part throttle gremlin. It does not seem to be there at WOT.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Quote Originally Posted by Derek A.
    My car has had this affliction for a while. Did a new o2, cap + rotor, air filter. Valves were done not to long ago, injectors are good. Under part throttle conditions 2-4k it almost feels like someone shuts the fuel off for a milisecond. I was thinking maybe the Airflow meter is the problem. All the little repairs helped the overall smoothness of the car - but there is still this part throttle gremlin. It does not seem to be there at WOT.
    Is it when you barely have your foot on the gas? All SOHC bmw motors I've driven do this... i'm sure there's something that is the problem, but my car seems to 'surge' a VERY little amount (just enough to make the car feel unsmooth) while applying barely any gas...

Derek, did you replace that #6 pickup deal too?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

It does it even as much as half throttle. Definitely not that first tip in feel. I think that has to do with how the injectors are turned on and off. This is while you are under way. I am wondering if there is a spot on the Airflow meter trace that has gone bad or is dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by epj3
    Is it when you barely have your foot on the gas? All SOHC bmw motors I've driven do this... i'm sure there's something that is the problem, but my car seems to 'surge' a VERY little amount (just enough to make the car feel unsmooth) while applying barely any gas...
    Derek A.

Derek,
    Check the ignition wires, sounds like misfire (how old are the wires)? I've had the same problem with my 325, changed the wires problem solved
    '93 DaytonaViolett M5 (US)
    221+K miles...
    PowerChip...

Quote Originally Posted by krzysiom5
    Derek,
    Check the ignition wires, sounds like misfire (how old are the wires)? I've had the same problem with my 325, changed the wires problem solved
    Would you miind going through the details of changing the ignition wires?

I've been over at my stealer's parts dept and had them look up ignition wires but it seems like I either have to buy the entire harness or buy ignition wire by itself by the yard.

So do you just simply measure up how long each ignition wire is, make the proper cuts, and replace the wire or is there more to it than that?
    1990 BMW 535i 5 speed - Black on Grey, LSD

Worth a shot swapping AFMs - find someone and swap and see if it makes a difference.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

ive seen a few with similar symtoms, where
    the carbon contacts in the air flow meter wear out
    originally by Rollingon20strong:
    hey thanks jeff for the info good LOOking out
    aka Dan and that cat ja ja ja takes care of my baby jaja

Ignition wires never go bad in my opinion. What goes bad are the resistors at the end of the wires which can be replaced for about $7 at any internet parts place. Try bimmerparts.com. You have to destroy the old endand then insert the wire in the new end. Hope this helps.
    Or check out this page, good stuff
    http://www.kingsborne.com/
    this also might help you
    http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/...ireSet_V12.htm

My wires actually had cracked insulation near the plugs, coupled with the ripped up #6 sensor wire it was time to replace them. I also did the cap and rotor - so I am notw good for anothr 200,000 miles.
    Derek A.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast