GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: I just ripped the crank sensor wire off #6 plug wire..am I buyin a new wire set ??

Default I just ripped the crank sensor wire off #6 plug wire..am I buyin a new wire set ??

Was putting in a new cap and rotor - was having a hard time getting #6 wire off - it let loose and ripped the sensor off #6 wire. Anything to do to repair - or should I just bite the bullet and put a new wire set on the car - its at 178,000 miles - looked to be bosch wireset.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Is the sensor intact?

Maybe it can just be reattched to the #6 wire.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

You can replace the part. Order a new trigger wire and one new distributor side plug end and boot. You'll need to cut off the old end, slide the new tirgger wire on and then install the new boot. I have pictures and part numbers somewhere.

Of course, not a bad time to replace your plug wires if they do have that many miles on them.

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

BTW, it will generally run OK without it. My understanding is that that wire triggers the injector banks. There's two banks. If the trigger wire is fried, the injectors fire all at the same time. If the sensor works, the pulses are slightly better timed. Not a sequential injection system though...too bad.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda

Default Not to interrupt but without the sensor the injectors

trigger once every revolution whether its the exhaust stroke or intake stroke, only it squirts half as much fuel since its doing it every revolution. When the sensor is working it opens a bank of 3 injectors 1,3,5 or 2,4,6 once every other revolution so its semi sequential injection.. a little more precise metering but as Jeff said it will still run ok without it. A true sequential squirts the full amount to each injector just before the intake stroke of each cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    BTW, it will generally run OK without it. My understanding is that that wire triggers the injector banks. There's two banks. If the trigger wire is fried, the injectors fire all at the same time. If the sensor works, the pulses are slightly better timed. Not a sequential injection system though...too bad.

the plastic ring is seperated from the # 6 wire. It would be a major PITA to try and repair that small coil. The wires do look like they have some miles on them, will just have to anty up and get a new set. The cap and rotor were pretty worn.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Default hi bill....! pics 4 everyone else

Bellevue WA