GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 525 SE - My doors won't unlock!

Default 525 SE - My doors won't unlock!

Hello all,

I hope someone may be able to help me.

The doors on my 1988 525 SE sedan wont unlock - the only thing that will open is the boot. I think the battery may be dead??

I already tried the advice on the bmwnet site ie., put the key in, turn anticlock wise but it still wont open.

I'm not techie enough to use batteries in the trunk etc. Is there any other way I can either open the door or even open the bonnet to replace the battery or get it jump started?

Will the AA or RAC be able to help me at all??

Thanks very much for your help!!

Default It can be jumped from

The starter, by going under the car with the cables and powering up the hot side of the starter.

Good luck

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Quote Originally Posted by Finsbury Girl
    I already tried the advice on the bmwnet site ie., put the key in, turn anticlock wise but it still wont open.
    Try this a few more times. On my '89 535, I had to try both the driver and passenger door multiple times, turning the key both ways while lifting up on the handle. After enough jiggling, it finally gave way. It was not as easy as I thought!

Good luck,

Norman

Default what side of the Atlantic are you on?

if you are in the North America...your passenger door is on the right side of the car and the driver's side is the left. The diagrams below are oriented toward North America...so turn your key accordingly.

As others have stated...you need to left the handle while turning the key...and the direction to unlock the doors should be turning the key toward the front of the car.

Remember, to lift the handle up (pumping it has helped some trying this procedure) while turning the key to the emergency unlock position. Start on the left side of the car first:

If you are unsuccessful on the right side...move over to the left side of the car and try it again (remember you turn the key in the opposite direction):
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

what side of the Atlantic are you on?
    Q: 525 SE = Great Britain. Only in the U.K. they were called SE as far as I know.