GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Fixed the headrest

Default Fixed the headrest

While fixing my trunk lock today, i figured that since i had all my tools out, i might as well try to figure out why my headrest wasn't working. i couldn't move it up or down using the electronic controls. turns out, the cable that runs from the compressor to the drive motor wasn't making a good connection. took me about 2 hours to fix it though. i dropped one of the wrench sockets in a really small opening in the seat frame which took me about 30 mins to get out. total pain in the ass.

if any of you need help fixing your headrests, i can help you guys out. just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ilya
    While fixing my trunk lock today, i figured that since i had all my tools out, i might as well try to figure out why my headrest wasn't working. i couldn't move it up or down using the electronic controls. turns out, the cable that runs from the compressor to the drive motor wasn't making a good connection. took me about 2 hours to fix it though. i dropped one of the wrench sockets in a really small opening in the seat frame which took me about 30 mins to get out. total pain in the ass.

if any of you need help fixing your headrests, i can help you guys out. just let me know.
    you could have saved yourself time if you asked us first

http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/i/miales/seatcablesfix.htm

darron
    [IMG][/IMG]

I have the same problem on my 1995 525i. I had suspected that cause, can you explain the fix? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bookbinder
    I have the same problem on my 1995 525i. I had suspected that cause, can you explain the fix? Thanks.
    Actually, the headrests are easier to fix than the infamous "seat twist" problem. You can perform the same type of "cable shortening" as in the seat twist repair...or you can do the really simple "coat hanger" kludge...which is what I did on my 91 735il and 95 525iT...both still continue to work flawlessly.

The coat hanger repair:
    You will need a 1/4" piece of metal coat hanger...it will be inserted into the motor housing where the end of the cable goes. What it does is center the cable within the sheathing which has stretched over time.

1. Remove the rear seat cover
    2. You will see the headrest motor mounted on a small shelf on the right side (of the passenger seat...I'm not sure if it's on the left side on the driver's seat...never had the cover off of it)... (see pic below)
    3. take a pair of pliers and "gently fold back the metal tangs that secure the leather, near the headrest motor. You can undo the screws that hold the motor to the shelf...but this is a bear and it's easer just to remove the whole little shelf. If you pull the leather back far enough...you will see that the shelf is held on by two screws on the side that faces the B pillar...undo these screws and remove the shelf & motor as one unit.
    4. with the motor & shelf removed...undo the screws that hold the motor to the shelf (see red arrows in pic below) and remove the drive cable from the motor.
    5. insert the straight 1/4" of metal coat hanger (or something equivalent) up into the motor, then re-insert the drive cable.
    6. insert your key into the ignition and turn to POS 2 so that you can "TEST" the headrest before reassembling. If it works...just reverse your procedure and remount the motor & shelf to the seat frame, replace the leather, then the seat back.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-15-2005 at 12:07 PM.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Thank you for your great response. And, my wife who has the neck problem thanks you as well. I found it necessary to place a 1/4" spacer on both ends of the cable. Works great! Thanks