GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pop! 4 second after startup on V8

Default Pop! 4 second after startup on V8

Hey,
    I got a 540i... it makes a "Pop" sound upon startup... well... 4 seconds after startup. It will only do this after extended shutdown... like first thing in morning... or hours after you come back from work to start it up.

What can it be? Ignition coil in oil?

What kind of pop? Where's it coming from?

Default Get a similar sound- 95 525i

Only mine makes a "pop" or couch upon first crank or so on a cold start. If you hold key on it will go ahead and start. Seems as if the sound is near the induction system airfilter area. It seems random.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Hey,
    I got a 540i... it makes a "Pop" sound upon startup... well... 4 seconds after startup. It will only do this after extended shutdown... like first thing in morning... or hours after you come back from work to start it up.

What can it be? Ignition coil in oil?
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

it sounds exactly like there's an ignition coil in oil or at least a bad boot in oil. can you smell anything when it does the pop? i'd leave the vents on open and take a smell (inside and out) when it does it.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

In the hood area... I was never there when started...

In the hood area... I was never there when started...
    you'd do well to get the person driving it to smell, i guess. always gives off a kind of ozone mixed with lit match put to motor oil smell if it is oil on coil.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

could be a vacume leak or a coil/boot/plug issue. I would do a visual inspection of the electrical end, read the plugs to see if any are a little different. Do a careful inspection of the intake system too. It could be intake gaskets too but Id go electrical first.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Intake gasket was done by BMW not that long ago...

Default that really dont mean

it was done right! start with the plugs and stuff.
    Intake gasket was done by BMW not that long ago...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Valve cover gaskets replaced 29,000 miles ago

Of course, they could still be leaking. Almost time to change plugs again. This time I was going to check plugs as an indication that coils and connector could be bad. I have has an idication of misfire with ssome fuel dilution issue on used oil analysis.

BTW, several of the previous plugs has a touch of oil. The previous owner never changed the plugs in 76,000 miles. They only followed the SI lights and fix things when they were broke by BMW dealers. The POP is random on my 525i and only on long soak starts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    it sounds exactly like there's an ignition coil in oil or at least a bad boot in oil. can you smell anything when it does the pop? i'd leave the vents on open and take a smell (inside and out) when it does it.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast