GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Check engine light question (s) 94 525i

Default Check engine light question (s) 95 525i

What problems does the check engine light indicate on a 95 525i?

For example will it "light up" to indicate proplems with ANY/ALL of the 100 or so BMW error codes? Or perhaps it only indicates specific emission related problems/codes.

I may buy a Peake R5 FCX II fault code scan/reset tool unless there is something better and reasonably priced. Does it note all BMW codes?

By the way, the check engine light is not currently on and the stomp test (hard to read accurately) seems to indicate NO code errors.

As usual, TIA
    Last edited by Russell; 05-12-2005 at 11:40 AM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

study the code writeup, the blinks and stuff are fairly accurate.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

are you trying to read stuff like transmission codes too? i'd think you need the snapon for that. what extra does the peake cover that the stomp test does not?
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Good question?

I guess in a roundabout way, I want to know if a Peake tool reads everything a stomp test does? I find the stomp test a pain to do and never sure if i read it correctly.

Tell me about the snapon tool?. I know nothing about it. Might be a better buy, if reasonably priced

TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    are you trying to read stuff like transmission codes too? i'd think you need the snapon for that. what extra does the peake cover that the stomp test does not?
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default I gave up on counting flashes

I used to do this for some of my other cars, but it is a bitch to sit there and count flashes...was that a flash, flash, pause flash or 3 flashes? Does that mean I need a O2 sensor, or is that a crank position sensor?

Instead of making a $100.00 mistake by buying sensor that I did not need, I just bought a $99.00 code reader OBDC II and replaced the right stuff.

I am interested in the peak R5/FCX II reader too.

Anybody have any comments on it?

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

i don't think you can even get a snapon unit for under 400$ used. then you have to go and buy a bmw cartridge for it. winfred can say more accurately.,
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Checked their web site -cost is high

Basic unit was about $500 or so. Did not bother to price cartridge and other stuff.

Looks like the peake is the best/only answer for our OBD I cars??

Thanks for your response

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    i don't think you can even get a snapon unit for under 400$ used. then you have to go and buy a bmw cartridge for it. winfred can say more accurately.,
    Thanks,