GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32mm blues...

Default 32mm blues...

Finally I located this mysterious tool, well looking forward to purchasing a bike wrench from bicycle repair shop, made from a company named park $14.99. Question is ...'How difficult will the job be to remove clutch fan and water pump?' 'Will additional tool be needed?' Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
    1989 525i Ghostly Grey

Default A clutch tool helps

get a strip of metal 3 or 4mm thick 400mm long 40 to 50mm wide, drill a 12++ mm hole at one corner to fit a pulley nut, and grind a concave from the edge where the hole is back 30mm to allow for the 32mm nut to clear.

this makes it a lot easier to break the nut loose.

Remember it's righty loosey for the 32mm fan nut

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Default Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob
    get a strip of metal 3 or 4mm thick 400mm long 40 to 50mm wide, drill a 12++ mm hole at one corner to fit a pulley nut, and grind a concave from the edge where the hole is back 30mm to allow for the 32mm nut to clear.

this makes it a lot easier to break the nut loose.

Remember it's righty loosey for the 32mm fan nut

Well Bob, first thank you very much. Yes you were correct to state the need for this pulley holder but I don't exactly have tools for metal fabrication. Would know anything about this wrench set for rent from advanced autozone There claims to be a pulley holder in this set, but will it fit?
    1989 525i Ghostly Grey

Quote Originally Posted by patznu
    Well Bob, first thank you very much. Yes you were correct to state the need for this pulley holder but I don't exactly have tools for metal fabrication. Would know anything about this wrench set for rent from advanced autozone There claims to be a pulley holder in this set, but will it fit?
    I guess I'm just a Luddite. My way of removing fan clutches involves a chisel and two or three bops in a clockwise direction with a heavy hammer. Never fails!

Best of luck,

Shaun M

on my m20 i take out 2 of the bolts on the pulley to give me enough room to use 2 pairs of bigass water pump pliers against each other so there's no to use chisels or anything like that

Default Update...

Quote Originally Posted by nizmainiac
    on my m20 i take out 2 of the bolts on the pulley to give me enough room to use 2 pairs of bigass water pump pliers against each other so there's no to use chisels or anything like that

Advanced Autozone did come thru this time with a rent a tool set (36mm wrench and pulley holder 19.00)

So far so good... about to now pull distrib. cap .. then cross bar per Bentley.
    1989 525i Ghostly Grey

Default Update

Advanced Autozone did come thru this time with a rent a tool set (36mm wrench and pulley holder 19.00)

So far so good... about to now pull distrib. cap .. then cross bar per Bentley.
    Well after one lost extension, a cracked distributor cap, a never finding bolt to the replacing of cross bar/hose, the objective was met. Coolant pump replaced. Several things achieved; cabin area now receives heat, car no longer overheats nor overflows at area of pump. Strange but content with a quieter start...like smoother? I also should mention that the old pump was quite disintergrated, as the forum warns, in result I took heed and purchased the correct one with metal impel.
    1989 525i Ghostly Grey

Default did you do the tensioner and timing belt

it's cheap insurance while doing the pump and got all that stuff off.

Default Timing belt

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob
    it's cheap insurance while doing the pump and got all that stuff off.
    Hey Bob, sorry to say but, no I did not know of any this about timing belt. I hope all is still ok since the engine was replaced in Sept o6. Any recommendations will be considered though. I must also ask you Bob, Whats up with a now screeching sound? I did notice a leak from steering fluid reservoir/hose area.
    1989 525i Ghostly Grey

Default Hope it's just a dirty belt

Hey Bob, sorry to say but, no I did not know of any this about timing belt. I hope all is still ok since the engine was replaced in Sept o6. Any recommendations will be considered though. I must also ask you Bob, Whats up with a now screeching sound? I did notice a leak from steering fluid reservoir/hose area.
    clean it and put some belt dressing or WD-40 on the fan belt.

If the timing belt was serviced, ther ewould be a sticker on the fuse box with the date & mileage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast