GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inspection Questions from a 1st time DIY'er - long

Default Inspection Questions from a 1st time DIY'er - long

Hey Fellas,

I'm getting ready to do my Inspection 1 and had a few questions.

I plan to change:
    Spark Plugs
    Oil (moble 1 15w50 or Redline 20w50)
    Air Filter
    Microfilter
    Brake Fluid (ATE Superblue)
    Coolant (Prestone -- JUST KIDDING)
    Water Pump
    T'stat

I know that some of these aren't in a typical Inspection 1, but I'm want to bring all the fluids up to date just for peace of mind.

Here are my questions:
    1) Once I emptied the oil/brake fluid/coolant where do I take it to be recycled?

2) Are the new Bosch Platium 4+ spark plugs worth the money or should I stick to standard Bosch plugs?

3) How do I drain/fill the tranny since there's no dipstick and I don't have a lift in my garage?

4) Are there any brands of filters that I should looking to buy or watching out for?

5) In light of what I'm changing are there any ancillary parts that I should also change (i.e. connectors, etc...)

Thanks,
    ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

why are you using such heavy oil????,and change the diff oil too
    Gone but not forgotten

check brunos site regarding the transmission, i don't think its going to be easy at all. for 60$ you should just let the dealer do it.

the bosh plugs, as Many people have said, are NOT worth it. their design doesn't perform well in real world conditions, espeically in older engines like ours.

for the recycling of the fluids, where do you life? discount auto parts will recycle auto oil for free i think. Your local waste managment company should be able to take care of any other fluids- look them up in the phone book. You can also seach online for information about recycling oil, there are soem government sites about it.

Default I Usually

Fertilize my neighbor's lawn with all the old fluids.

Or

buy a bunch of those oil change boxes filled with old belly button lint.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

I personally buy my oil filters from the dealer, but i know people here have some preferences about which aftermarket brand, but i don't remmber what they've said

when you change the coolant make sure you check the hoses for the next few weeks. When i flushed the green coolant from the PO out of my car and put the BMW kind in it immediatly started leaking from almost every single connection... i think the BMW brand has some major detergent properties (or just fresh coolant in general). when i got the old hoses off i found out they were literally mush inside.. pure sludge.

if you are already changing fluids out......

id tell you to, if your PS uses ATF, to buy a gallon, and flush it at the same time. it won't take you an hour to use up the gallon/do the procedure. i think bruno has a procedure for doing the tranny without a dipstick. if i were you and my tranny were healthy enough to take a change of fluid, i'd skip doing something else to make sure the tranny gets done. it involves using a hand fluid pump to fill the fill hole. diffs take 75w90 for non lsd, and 75w140 for lsd. if you are located in the US and want to use m1 15w50, pepboys has a calendar that you can buy for $1 that has a mobil 1 coupon in it, which lets you get 6 quarts of m1 for the price of 3. in my area, that's 16 dollars after tax for 6 quarts of m1, not a bad deal.

the purolator oil filters for your m50 are made in india, the stp are made in mexico. both are distinguishable from OEM by the tearable paper band that runs along their circumference. I'd pay the extra 2 $ and get the mahle from a ger auto parts place. i change oil so much, however, that, i get the cheapest, (and the easiest to obtain after the import part places have closed for the evening) the stp from autozone for about $5 and change.
    Last edited by ryan roopnarine; 05-11-2005 at 09:37 PM.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Heavy Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    why are you using such heavy oil????,and change the diff oil too
    According to my service records the car has had Castrol GTX 20w50 in it from the first oil change.
    In the owner's manual I fall between the 20w50 range.

-ashley

Paper Gaskets Suck!

Thanks for the Pepboys info.

Unfortunately they're not in Winston-Salem, NC or surrounding area. What do you mean "If you tranny is healthy enough for a fluid change"? How do I know? I haven't had any problems and it shifts great.
    -ashley

Paper Gaskets Suck!

Quote Originally Posted by infinity5
    check brunos site regarding the transmission, i don't think its going to be easy at all. for 60$ you should just let the dealer do it.
    Where do you live? Anywhere close to NC?

I just called my local dealer and here's what they quoted me.

Cool Blue - $28.60 a gallon
    Tranny Flush and Fill - $350!!!!!!!!!!!

My indy told me "around $100" surely there's not that much diffence in pricing!Hopefully, the person I talked to (who didn't seem too bright) just quoted me something else!
    -ashley

Paper Gaskets Suck!

Quote Originally Posted by acyre
    Here are my questions:
    1) Once I emptied the oil/brake fluid/coolant where do I take it to be recycled?
    Take it to your local auto parts store for recycling. Call first as some only take oil, some take all, etc. I have had luck with local indy's or Jiffy Lube type places. Worst case is call the city/local gov't and ask about disposal, they do not want it dumped in the environment either.
    2) Are the new Bosch Platium 4+ spark plugs worth the money or should I stick to standard Bosch plugs?
    Nope, stick with standard F7LDCR's.
    3) How do I drain/fill the tranny since there's no dipstick and I don't have a lift in my garage?
    If your tranny has no history of regular maintenance then you are asking for trouble. If it has been serviced regularly then I would say change it. Bentley manuals and other sources outline the procedure, but the rule of thumb is to put in what you took out. You have to do it with the car on a level service and jacked up and supported on stands or a lift with the engine running. This is something I would say leave to the pro's as it will take 4-5 flushes to do yourself since most of the fluid is in the torque converter and would need to be removed with pressure.
    4) Are there any brands of filters that I should looking to buy or watching out for?
    OEM are the best (Mahle or Mann) and are also cheap, no real reason to get a no-name store brand.
    5) In light of what I'm changing are there any ancillary parts that I should also change (i.e. connectors, etc...)
    Do the usual visual inspections of cooling and suspension components. You are probably getting close to round II of the car's suspension replacements. H2O pump should be done every 50-60K.

Good Luck,
    Rory

<Insert list of modifcations or clever saying here>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast