GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Catalytic converter gone after one year!

Default Catalytic converter gone after one year!

I had my converter replaced last year with an aftermarket one at a cost of over $600.00 and the last two weeks or so I have had a rattling under the car. Got under it last night and after some searching hit the cats with a rubber mallet and everything inside sounds loose and fallen apart. What would cause a cat to go after one year? To top things off I am one week out of warranty as well. Any ideas please!

Something wrong with engine... fix that first... usually too much fuel... possibly leaky fuel injector.

Don't worry about cat... your replacement Magnaflow cat will set you back less than $100... add another $80 for install or do it yourself.

Default aftermarket cats

I replaced both(v8) cats at 11years and 175,00 on the first set due to an emmision fail. One side began to rattle 6 months later. The manufacturers claimed there must be something wrong with the engine, running rich etc. I disputed this which cost £50 for a bmw dealer report saying the engine was fine but worth because after being shown the report and threatened with legal action the company supplied and paid for a new set fitting.

I noticed that in GB most companies now seem to be offering a better quality option, steel innards or something.

By the way... cat should come with 5yr/50K warranty... as mandated by federal law... so your cat should be covered. 2yr for internal ceramic.

Default I am warrantied!

Just found out that the cat (DEC brand) will be covered by warranty.It was a bad batch that they were trying to catch up with and this is how I found out from my mechanic. He will also cut me a deal on the install. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    By the way... cat should come with 5yr/50K warranty... as mandated by federal law... so your cat should be covered. 2yr for internal ceramic.

Anytime! I'd be pissed to lose $600 in one year...

Most of the aftermarket Cats tend to last for less then the OEM BMW pieces. Because the shop has to eat the labor on a failed Cat, policy is now that only OEM BMW stuff is installed. Which on an e38 or e39 v8 car is about a grand a side + parts + labor. They are not cheap.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"