GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: those that have added 540i brake ducts...

Default those that have added 540i brake ducts...

...do any of you have a set of instructions that goes into further detail than the ones posted on bmwe34.net? like how does the bracket attach and so fourth? is the center lip part supported independently after making the cuts to the bumper?

tia!

Going from memory but if I recall, it works like this:

- The metal bracket is the key part to tying the duct corners together. The inner part of the bracket bolts to a mounting point used to secure the lower dam. The outer part of the bracket ties to a tab in the new pickup scoop.

- The outer corner of the pickup scoop essentially wraps around the existing lip on the dam. You have to put in a small notch in the corner of the lip so the tab pokes thru to the back side of the lip. This is where you attach the outer side of the bracket.

- The top, back part of the scoop attaches to bracket with some slide clips and machine screws.

All of this works to nicely secure the scoop part. Mine have been in a for a couple years now and I've had zero problems.

I recall it being pretty obvious as you get it apart. I may also have some photos squirrelled away that shows some of these steps. Let me know if you get really serious about doing this and I'll see if I can find and post them.

Cheers!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by shragon
    ...do any of you have a set of instructions that goes into further detail than the ones posted on bmwe34.net? like how does the bracket attach and so fourth? is the center lip part supported independently after making the cuts to the bumper?

tia!
    Last edited by Jeff N.; 05-10-2005 at 10:34 AM.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

thanks jeff! from bruno's site, i can see how it's cut and drops in. i was just wondering how the bracket attached, and i think you did a good job of expaining that.

do you have any pics of your car? would like to see how they look on a black e34. thanks!!

Glad that helped...

I can take some...give me a couple days. They look absolutely like any 7 series or 540 with them installed. Can't tell the diff from the factory to the retrofit.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda

cool jeff. only if you have time. no biggie.

Default Here are some pics I had handy

Mounting Bracket on the duct... note the tab in the lower right.

Bracket installed. Note the screw on very far left.

Bellevue WA

Default continued....

Duct installed. You can see the bracket screws in the center and on the right. The left corner uses the tab.

All buttoned up. Friggin wrong light balance on the camera...

Bellevue WA

wow, thanks for the pics! i can totally see how the bracket is attached now. these big pics are very helpful. thanks again!

I love those brake ducts, but I am just way to scared to cut my bumper up. I would love to do the mod some day.

Great pictures by the way.I need to save them. =)

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

i did mine without chopping up the bumper, ill take some fresh pics when i get a chance

Quote Originally Posted by liquidtiger720
    I love those brake ducts, but I am just way to scared to cut my bumper up. I would love to do the mod some day.

Great pictures by the way.I need to save them. =)
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast