GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: considering a 1995 540i

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default considering a 1995 540i

Hello. I'm looking real close at a 1995 540i with about 97K miles on it. The car is real clean and although I haven't had a chance to drive it yet the owner says it is mechanically sound. No issues. He's asking 11K$us for the car. Anyone have any input on the durability, price, whatever? Is this a car that comes apart at 110K? Thanks in advance for any info.

No... car won't come apart at 110k.... However, first thing to do is have the dealer check out the engine... see if it is Nikasil or Alusil engine... If still Nikasil engine, have dealer do a leakdown test on it. If everything pass, then go ahead and consider the vehicle.

at 100K miles... most common wear thing has to be changed... so it is best to let the dealer to look over it for you.

At private sale, $11K is alot of money... what optional equipment are installed?

Hey Thenewguy I can sell my 94 525i for $8500 if you are intrested I'm in Springfield, MA area. Right now I got 94K miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    No... car won't come apart at 110k.... However, first thing to do is have the dealer check out the engine... see if it is Nikasil or Alusil engine... If still Nikasil engine, have dealer do a leakdown test on it. If everything pass, then go ahead and consider the vehicle.

at 100K miles... most common wear thing has to be changed... so it is best to let the dealer to look over it for you.

At private sale, $11K is alot of money... what optional equipment are installed?
    I hear you on that and it sounds essential to have a dealer look at it. Good advice, thanks.

Right now I'm just flirting over the internet with the seller. The car looks to have only rims and tires as optional equipment. I checked the kelly blue book value and the price seems to be right on for the car. Apparently the inside is perfect. I'll attach a couple of fotos for curiosity's sake. None of the interior yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

definetly have a dealer or independant facility do a check over, well worth the money spent. If the car has maintenance records is even better, you will know what was done and when. the worst scenereo is just buying the car and a month later need to replace all the maintenance items that should have been done. 11,000 is a big number and that car should have FULL records and the seller should splurge for an inspection. that price is above the baseline and should run with no problems at all what soever for a year with you doing nothing. everything should work! get the engine numbers and see if it is Alusil or Nikasil, Nikasil cuts the cost at least 2k.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default 1995 540i with about 97K

Quote Originally Posted by the new guy
    Hello. I'm looking real close at a 1995 540i with about 97K miles on it. The car is real clean and although I haven't had a chance to drive it yet the owner says it is mechanically sound. No issues. He's asking 11K$us for the car. Anyone have any input on the durability, price, whatever? Is this a car that comes apart at 110K? Thanks in advance for any info.
    This is a nikasil engine'd can unless it's been changed. I'd be very careful.

IF the engine is running fine - the car will be fine. If it hasnt failed yet it probably wont. There are hundreds of ill informed opinions on the Nikasil debate.

Have an independent BMW mechanic go over it. Check Brunos site for what will go wrong. Pre-purchase inspection is a must for these cars - no matter WHAT engine it has.

At that age however - there are probably lots of things like intake manifold gasket (often mis-diagnosed as Nikasil problem) The PCV Valve plate gasket (Same misdiagnosis) in other words lots of plastic under the hood that gets old and brittle that will cause Vacuum leaks.

The oil pump bolts in the oil pan also need to be checked and tightened. At about 100k the bolts loosen and drop out. If you dont catch it before it happens you can have catastrophic engine problems. Several here have checked theirs and reported this as an issue. Simple repair if you are mechanically inclined.

The Automatic Transmissions last between 130 and 180 before they need to be rebuilt. Cost to replace with Reman Tranny is 3k plus labor.

I have a 94 540i with 190 k on it and I had to fix a lot of stuff on it when I first got it. 11k is a reasonable price in Mint Condition with Full Documentation. I paid 6k for mine 2 years ago with 120.

I have another 6k in it to get it back to new spec. - JT
    Last edited by Johntee540; 05-09-2005 at 07:34 PM.
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

Don't forget that most of the original suspension components need to be replaced at around 120k, as well. This can be an expensive proposition if the car is dealer serviced. Even an independent's bill isn't going to be pretty. Be sure to read Bruno's site: the article from Bill R. on "what will break" and/or Lenny's info in the buying guide on www.bmw4life.com.

best, whit

11k is pretty steep. I got mine with 96K miles on it for 8K from an independant dealer and it was pretty much in excellent condition. Ive only had to buy a new emblem and some hood struts.

Quote Originally Posted by the new guy

you dont happen to live in the bay area, california do you?
    Last edited by liquidtiger720; 05-10-2005 at 12:39 AM.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast