GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M50 2.0 non Vanos Timing Problem

Default M50 2.0 non Vanos Timing Problem

Hello from the land of Guinness: D ,

Can anyone help me with this problem; I replaced the cylinder head on my 91 e34 520i due to head gasket failure. The problem I have now is that I can't get the timing right. I know I need the Timing Tools, but because I live in Southern Ireland I have to order them from the UK, which will take a week to deliver, and I need the car straight away.

This is a long shot, but does anyone know if the timing can be set up on the engine without the use of the tools???

Any help would be appreciated. I'll even buy you a pint of Guinness!!!

i did a thing a while back on the board with pictures on how to set up a vanos car without the tools, it's varly easy and about the same for both motors, set the botom end on top dead center and set the cams to where the lobes are sorta pointing up on #1, they should be pointing torward the spark plug tube this will be close, on the back of the cams they are machined square with two shiney sides and two slightly rough sides, there should be a slightly rough side facing up, square this off with a straight edge by adjusting the cams so that the edge sits flat on both cams, with the block at tdc make sure that all of the slack is out of the right (pulling side) side of the timing chain (as you face it) by pulling on it lightly and the cams square bits squared up lock down the sprockets and you should be set up nearly perfect. i've probably done 20 or 30 motors like this and if you take your time it works well, i won't be home for about 13 hours if you have not found the picture thing i did ill post it when i get to my home computer
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Cheers Winfred, i had a look for that thread but I couldn't find it.
    If you get a chance will you send me the link.

Cheers again....

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    i did a thing a while back on the board with pictures on how to set up a vanos car without the tools, it's varly easy and about the same for both motors, set the botom end on top dead center and set the cams to where the lobes are sorta pointing up on #1, they should be pointing torward the spark plug tube this will be close, on the back of the cams they are machined square with two shiney sides and two slightly rough sides, there should be a slightly rough side facing up, square this off with a straight edge by adjusting the cams so that the edge sits flat on both cams, with the block at tdc make sure that all of the slack is out of the right (pulling side) side of the timing chain (as you face it) by pulling on it lightly and the cams square bits squared up lock down the sprockets and you should be set up nearly perfect. i've probably done 20 or 30 motors like this and if you take your time it works well, i won't be home for about 13 hours if you have not found the picture thing i did ill post it when i get to my home computer

Hi Winfred,

I followed it step by step as you explained it but all I get is back firing into the inlet manifold but the motor still will not start.
    I've tried this about 5 times and I feel like getting a sledge hammer to it at this stage
    Also there is not very much compression when the motor is turning over but thia is probably cause the motor has not run yet.
    Any advice on this would be really really appreciated

sounds like the cams are still out of synk or just plain off. you must have something a bit wrong still. start fresh, stand back and start with the crank at TDC. Your close but not right on yet.

be patient, you can do it!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Brian, donīt forget to spin the engine two full turn by hand before starting her up to be sure no valves hits a piston. You will get there, be patient and donīt get nervous and give yourself time . Best of luck to you lad.

Hi guys.
    Thanks for all the advice, gives me hope
    Although I just thought of something....I got the replacement head out of a car breakers yard and I don't know what year the motor was that the cylinder head came off of.
    What if it is a Vanos head?? if it is I will have to strip it all down again
    If it turns out that it is a vanos head, will I be able to change the cams or will I have to change the head again to a non vanos one?
    Is there any way I can tell at a glance if the head I put on is a Vanos or Non Vanos?

Sorry for all the questions???

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/35831.htm this is really just what i said earlyer in pictures, this is a vanos motor yours is more simple to set up as you don't need to fool with the timing unit, you just tighten the gears down when inplace

vanos and non vanos heads are not different enough to be a problem, the cams are different and wouldn't work with your timing gears
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Ok guys I have an update. I've finally gave up on the head. To cut a long story short, the head was a bag of sh*t and had been completly basterdised with different parts.
    So I picked up a second hand motor out of a damaged 520i with a full service history for €400.
    And it's been fitted the weekend.
    So maybe after all this crap over the last 2 weeks I'll get some luck.

Once again, thanks to everyone who gave advice.
    Will let you know how I get on with the transplant.

you are going to get credit when you return that junk arent you?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast