GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing thrust arms vs. thrust arm bushings

The e34 M5 bushings should be a tougher upgrade to the 750 stuff. I'm sure Pat can source the m5 arms.
    The control arms are better removed by pulling the upper & lower arms attached to the steering plate(3 bolts under strut) from the car. With the control arms out of the car, on a workbench, you have much more room to release the ball joint ends.
    erased due to slander

Martin can you confirm that the E34 M5 thrust arms are a direct swap for the E34 535i?
    1990 BMW 535i 5 speed - Black on Grey, LSD

They are.

best, whit
    Last edited by Kalevera; 05-07-2005 at 10:19 PM. Reason: cutting out erroneous bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by JAlfredPrufrock
    Martin can you confirm that the E34 M5 thrust arms are a direct swap for the E34 535i?
    Exactly how many times do you need to hear the same recommendation before you accept the advice that's being given? As for the M5 arms being a direct fit, they most certainly are. The major difference is that the M5 arms are cast aluminum, standard E34 arms are cast steel/iron, AND I believe the bushing must be pressed-in post purchase. BTW, why on God's earth would you prefer buying your parts from the dealer? I mean it's good for the local economy and all, and I'm sure the owner and his wife appreciate you helping pay their daughter's tuition, but you will be paying a 50% premium over the indy.

Quote Originally Posted by pmlmotorsports
    Exactly how many times do you need to hear the same recommendation before you accept the advice that's being given? As for the M5 arms being a direct fit, they most certainly are. The major difference is that the M5 arms are cast aluminum, standard E34 arms are cast steel/iron, AND I believe the bushing must be pressed-in post purchase. BTW, why on God's earth would you prefer buying your parts from the dealer? I mean it's good for the local economy and all, and I'm sure the owner and his wife appreciate you helping pay their daughter's tuition, but you will be paying a 50% premium over the indy.
    Actually, the thrust arms aren't aluminum, just the control arms are on the M5.

No need to be abrasive. JAlfred's just trying to get it all right the first time.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by pmlmotorsports
    Many times.

Employee discount > you

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Actually, the thrust arms aren't aluminum, just the control arms are on the M5.

No need to be abrasive. JAlfred's just trying to get it all right the first time.

best, whit
    I stand corrected. Perhaps it's knowing everything in the suspensions are identicle except the bushing and the control arm......I guess I'm just getting old..........not being abrasive, just seemed like he ignored the other members suggestions, except for Martin........

Are you sure the standard e34's came with steel control arms? When I went to replace mine, they were aluminum. Actually, I believe both peices were aluminum. I remeber comparing the weight between both sets...and the originals were a great deal lighter.

Later E34s came with the aluminum control arms but steel arms are fine for any E34 unless you are concerned about that last few ounces of unsprung weight. The aluminum arms are stronger and purportedly have a higher quality ball joint than the cast iron parts.

Thrust arm bushings from the M5 are a direct fit but you may have a bit of trouble convincing a stealer to put them in. BMA will supply the thrust arms with whatever bushings you want. Buy Lemforders...

Anthony
    Last edited by Anthony (M5 in Calgary); 05-08-2005 at 11:24 AM.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

I'm planning on doing all the work in my driveway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast