GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Oil Pump Bolts rolling around the pan!

Default Oil Pump Bolts rolling around the pan!

I took my oil pan off and found two *bolts* (not nuts) sitting at the bottom.

One of them was part of the collection of bolts that hold the two halves of the pump together.

the other one i CANNOT find where it goes! I've looked in there for half an hour with a flash light and ever single bolt is in place. all of them. every last one!!

Unless the bolt fell from someplace in in the top of the engine, i have no idea where it goes.

any advice? i'm about to put it back together and just leave the bolt out. whatever it came from, everything else is in place and its running fine.

oh, and another thing. i was installed an oil pipe and i hit the alternator and there was a spark...... What are my chances, doctor? I don't think that would blow the alternator, not with the car off.. but i'm afraid maybe i fried the voltage regulator? *Sigh* i've got a 15 hour drive ahead of me tomorrow morning. any input would be great.

if the contact with the alt was short it's probably fine, the live wire on the alt comes off the battery and shouldn't of effected the guts of the alt
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Thanks that really makes me feel better.

Any ideas about the mysterious bolt? I'm running out of time.. i think it's just going to get left out. Besides, it probably fell from something high up in the engine =(

its long, but its pretty small, it couldn't have been holding anyhting TOO important together.

Default Back in Munich 1994

On the BMW assembly line a conversation could be heard:

Helmut: Hey Hans, Wanna make some Yankees ?

Hans: Jah, what do you have in mind?

Helmut: Going to drop this extra bolt in the oil pan.

Hans: Ha ha, I would love be there to watch him when he takes the pan off and finds it, then tries to figure it out where it came from.

Helmut: Me too (clink) Ha ha ha.

Hans: You are such a naughty boy.

Helmut: Jah…Give me a spanking.

Hans & Helmut: Ha..ha ha !

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Haha.

Yes, oil pump bolts are an issue with the early M60's. TMS's web site has an article on it. One of the tests they do IIRC is to tap the oil pan with the car up in the air -- usually can hear them rattling around in there if they've fallen out.

On the alternator thing -- that's why Bentley says to disconnect the battery for EVERYTHING -- even when doing the water pump

Best, whit

I wonder if thats where my rattle is comming from on bumpy roads?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

lol! you're f'king halarious bob that was a nice break from the bloody knuckles i've got trying to tighten the oil filter return line down enough so it stops leaking.

I took her for a test drive.. every thing seems a-ok, 'cept that damn oil return line is still weeping a little.. dhsfasd. Is that line used soley to empty the oil fitler housing when you pop the lid? its the line that goes directly from the filter to the oil pan... if thats all its for i might just take the hose off and plug the holes with bolts. the damn thing is annoying and impossible to reach.. and it leaks!

but anyway... i could see the bottoms of my pistions with the oil pan off.. nifty! looks like my cylinder walls are covered in oil-brown-varnish though, that can't be good. I noitced it when i looked through the one open intake valves the other day as well.*shrug* thats what synthetic oil is for!

well, off to texas tomorrow. is there anyone between Gainesville FL and Dallas Tx that wants a visit?

have a safe and adventurous trip man!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

oh wow you're gonna drive it tomorrow? i'd have stopped by one day and basked in its disassembly if i knew that was the case.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."