GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 745 turbo specs n anyone?

Default 745 turbo specs n anyone?

Hi guys,

I was offered an M102 engine today in parts. Everything is complete , except for the electronics, but that's no issue as the loom and computer from the E30 325i can be used with a program adjustment.
    I really don' t know much about this engine except it' s supposed to output 252 bhp with only 7-8psi.

Does anyone have experience with tuning these engines before, are they reliable and what about the 3K charger? I' ve heard of these before, but don' t know anything about build quality and reliabillity.

The engine is for my M3 E30 as I sold my nearly completed M3 turbo spec-engine to a costumer for way too much money, so I couldn' t refuse but it' s " heartless" now.

Thanks bimmernuts.

i have always been interested in the 745i turbo aswell,
    i havent had any personal experience with them because
    i have always been put off by people telling me about their
    poor reliability, i guess its a good place to start for a turbo
    set-up, but i would personally just build a kit up, because
    the KKK turbocharger they use does have reliability issues,
    so you would really wwant a garret instead also the exhaust
    manifold design is far from ideal.

Another compressor is not the issue, itīs just that the compression ratio is very interesting and I will save a lot on loose parts. Th M30 I was building for my own set up cost me over 3 grand in parts, and thatīs without a compressor, intercoolre or other ****. I already have a tubular manifold of our own design, so thatīsok too. I can buy the 745 package for a mere 400 US, so thatīs why it is so very interesting.Thanks for your input though.

sorry, my input wasnt very helpfull, i didnt realise you were so clued up on it,
    i reckon for 400 bucks its a dam good buy, what specs are you after, i have some info.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose
    Another compressor is not the issue, itīs just that the compression ratio is very interesting and I will save a lot on loose parts. Th M30 I was building for my own set up cost me over 3 grand in parts, and thatīs without a compressor, intercoolre or other ****. I already have a tubular manifold of our own design, so thatīsok too. I can buy the 745 package for a mere 400 US, so thatīs why it is so very interesting.Thanks for your input though.
    "The 745i's have been much maligned as maintenance nightmares, but aside from the high maintenance nature of any 7-series, the only additional maintenance is the turbo and it's affiliated systems. Parts are becoming scarcer all the time, but I have yet to experience a problem getting any needed parts."

Source: http://members.aol.com/turbo745i/
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

It's going to make your M3 way too nose-heavy.
    1990 BMW 535i 5 speed - Black on Grey, LSD

Quote Originally Posted by JAlfredPrufrock
    It's going to make your M3 way too nose-heavy.

The difference is basically the 745 has different oil routes for the turbo etc. Its lower compression. I think M30 is 9.0 the M102 may be 8.5 or 8.7 not sure. With a boost controller and upgraded diverter valve you can make silly torque.

You understand my brainstorms Jon. Itīll be a complete wicked motor when fine tuned, I guess 300 bhp will be in clear sight. Compression seems to be 7,0:1 for a std 745.

As for the nose getting to be too heavy, it won' t. The engine will be positioned far more back than on the Alpina B6 E30 series . I' ve done the M30 into E30 build a few times and was pretty impressed how the car handeled itself with the extra weight. Just push back the engine as far as possible by pushing the firwall in by 5 cms and you' ll be in the clear. It won' t be as the factory intended it, but it' ll be much faster than the original M3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose
    As for the nose getting to be too heavy, it won' t. The engine will be positioned far more back than on the Alpina B6 E30 series . I' ve done the M30 into E30 build a few times and was pretty impressed how the car handeled itself with the extra weight. Just push back the engine as far as possible by pushing the firwall in by 5 cms and you' ll be in the clear. It won' t be as the factory intended it, but it' ll be much faster than the original M3.
    I look forward to seeing it then.
    1990 BMW 535i 5 speed - Black on Grey, LSD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast