GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Protective Sleeve for Bump Stop

Default Protective Sleeve for Bump Stop

I've searched for a definitive answer for bump stop trimming and found several opinions so I just went ahead and cut my front bump stops in half... (-1.5'')

The question I have is with the protective sleeve that goes over the bump stop... there is a large metal washer that goes on top of it.. is the washer supposed to fit into the top of the protective sleeve or just lay on top of it?

My common sense tells me it should fit into the groove in the plastic protective sleeve but the sleeve's diameter is telling me it doesn't

What do yall think?
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

first thing you did wrong was to just chop the stop, I did that first time and it IS NOT correct.

protective sleve???

there is a washer that goes ontop of the stop and it fits into the groove that stops the stop from busting through the carrier..
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

what is the correct thing to do with the front and rear bump stops? i'll have to buy more and do it right.

the washer is supposed to fit into the groove but it doesn't want to go in without me mangling the plastic... i'll give it another shot after another beer
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

Any pics of the bump stop???

I had a bump stop cracked on a Jaguar XK making a clunking over bumps, sooooo werid.

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

are you talking about the plastic dust shield fitting on the foam bumpstop?

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    what is the correct thing to do with the front and rear bump stops? i'll have to buy more and do it right.

the washer is supposed to fit into the groove but it doesn't want to go in without me mangling the plastic... i'll give it another shot after another beer
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

The plastic dust shield actually fits over/attaches to the bump stop itself, not the washer. If you just cut off the bottom half of the bump stop, you'll cut off the little ridge that the dust shield attaches to. That's another reason why you want to just 'section' the bump stop to shorten it, not just cut it in half.

yep that's it...