GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Made a catch can, $26. pics.

Default Made a catch can, $26. pics.

Hey guys, upon recommendation on forced induction forums, I made a catch can to help catch some of the oil mist that will be emitted from the crank case ventilation system. I found some references online to using a "lowes filter" but i couldn't find specifics, but then i went shopping and managed to find everything just fine. If you plan to do this here is what you will need:

Go to air compressor section of lowes, look for an inline filter made by Campbell Hausfeld with 3/8" 1/4" NPT female sockets. Buy a "hose repair" kit (or 2 actually) with 3/8" 1/4" npt barbs and hose clamps. Then buy some length of 3/8" fuel line. Then do what i've done here:

This device catches the oil mist that would normally be dumped into the already metered air stream, thus going into the combustion chamber and effectively dropping octane level and hurting emissions. My main reason for this is to keep the mist from fouling the impeller of my supercharger (since this line must be ducted on the vacuum side of the supercharger). You can vent to atmosphere if you want, but you need to cap off the line on the throttle body area or you will be taking in unmetered and unfiltered air, equating to a lean and dirty condition. Two things you never want to experience.

NOTE: Be careful when routing your 3/8" fuel lines. Realistically you should probably use a 90 degree NPT nipple from the intake manifold or something, but you can do whatever you want for hosing. Just remember, the throttle body on the M50 is mechanical, and can get stuck open or even closed if your hose routing is too close. Be smart.

The Hausfeld resevoir has bleed nipple on the bottom of the flask. If you want to get creative you can dump that from the resevoir back into the oil pan or dipstick. But otherwise, just release the oil that may build up every now and then. Feel free to put it back into the car.

If you decide to dump to atmosphere, you will want to also cap off the vacuum line at the crank case vent line at the top of the valve cover. This is used to draw out the fumes from the case, and if not capped off AND venting to atmosphere, you will be victim of vacuum loss. Use a miniature K&N filter on the vent to the atmosphere because it does bring in air somewhat.
    Last edited by Jon K; 05-04-2005 at 08:17 PM.

or just vent it into the cat convertor so u can spit flames out the tail pipe.
    =]

Quote Originally Posted by bahnstormer
    or just vent it into the cat convertor so u can spit flames out the tail pipe.
    =]

Stop being silly.

Jon....I admire your inventiveness, but Campbell Hausfield!?!?

Oy. Hope that sucker lasts for a few weeks...

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Jon....I admire your inventiveness, but Campbell Hausfield!?!?

Oy. Hope that sucker lasts for a few weeks...

best, whit

It's all metal, and the canister is a thick hi temp plastic. Its not going to see pressure (its a vacuum line), so i don't see why it wouldn't.

if you have problems with it,
    have a look at the drag set up
    where crankcase is vented directly
    into the exhaust, its undoubtedly
    the best set up

hmm. Would this give benefits to anyone who installed it, FI or not? you mentioned emissions and octane levels...

It might help keep all the damned oil out of my intake

Quote Originally Posted by infinity5
    hmm. Would this give benefits to anyone who installed it, FI or not? you mentioned emissions and octane levels...

It might help keep all the damned oil out of my intake

Yes, that is the idea. It will benefit anyone, i just used it to keep oil from hitting my turbine.