GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stalling, Dieing, Dead

Default Stalling, Dieing, Dead (SOLVED!!!!! Still need a little help)

Well im new here, but have been really enjoying this board. But now I have a problem.

'91 525i M50 engine 117K miles.
    The car will shut itself off randomly, independent of rpm or coolant temp. Sometimes it will save itself by revving itself to about 2k then coming back down to normal. Also when leaving from a light it will try to kill itself, it usually does but starts right back up.

Today I experienced another problem, it seemed liked the car overheated. It was in the red so I shut it off and checked under the hood but everything seemed fine!? I start driving home and it fixed itself?!

I have tried the stomp test but all I seem to get is 1111.
    Can someone please help? I really love this car but it just has a few issues that I have no idea to fix.

THANKS

-MewK
    Last edited by Mewkalewk; 07-01-2005 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Solved Sorta

Welcome!

Sounds like a fusible link issue to me, but it could be DME related. First thing is to check the fusible link, located under the rear seat, right/pass side of the car. Do a search on the forums for "fusible link" and you'll find a ton of info.

Best, whit

Default Stalling or stumbling with revival

Spent almost two years fighting similar problems on '89 525a. Tried a lot of things that seemed to improve but didn't last.

Weak grounds give the system and its sensors a fit. If a major ground is weak a substitute ground will be found and random electrical noise can give the sensor network and the ecu a fit. Check out the chassis and engine grounds, clean, tighten and get Stabilant contact enhancer from VW dealer. Stabilant is an official VW shoptool/supply.

Finally cleared up problem by replacing rotor and dist cap. EE friend advised, based on his experience w situation where he figured that cross firing in distributor cap would occasionally fire a cylinder when intake valve was open, and this would burn all fuel in the intake manifold. You may not buy the theory but replacing the cap and rotor finally cleared all stumbles.

However, after over a year wifey reported today that it cut off a a light. Uncertain whether while idling or accelerating or if trouble may be returning.

After going through all of this I understand the logic of the shop that wants to do a full Service 2, or whatever it's called, if one is overdue. If I had done that the misery of the mystery stumbles might have been completely avoided.

Is the fusible link a flat plate of metal about a 1/4" wide? if so then its fine. Im guessing that it may have something to do with something being loose.

At times when I go to start the car it will just go dead and not start. No power to anything. But if I screw around with the back seat a little(pop it up or take it out and put it back in.) everything comes back to life.

please help./.
    Thanks

-MewK

That's likely a fusible link problem.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...sible_link.htm

Best, whit

I found that it was a good idea to remove the fusible link to check it when mine was mucking me about, I had looked at it thinking it was fine, when in fact it had cracked through under the bolt and this could not easily be seen.

HTH

Bob

Today I completely removed the fusible link and its all in one piece, no cracks. Any other ideas guys..

Thanks

-MewK

Default Check your your fuel pressure

it could be that your fuel pump has died.

fuel filters might be clogged, you can check pressure but it will probably be good until the filters re-accumulate with dirt. Replace them first.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Ok ill change those today.. Im guessing I can goto the site and it will tell me how to change those? Or you guys know where I can get the info on how to change those?
    Can I just buy those from autozoo?

Thanks

-MewK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast