GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: O/T: '95 VW Jetta Question -- Anybody?

Default O/T: '95 VW Jetta Question -- Anybody?

Guys...

I've got the opportunity to pick up a '95 Jetta 5 speed w/ 127k on the clock for very little or no money. My intention is to fix it for my brother, who's currently car-less (although, yeah, I'd rather see him in a bimmer).

Car had just gotten a $1400 A/C & engine service when this happened. Symptoms are: owner exited off the highway, put the car in 2 and the clutch just sank to the floor. He got it over to the side of the road, shut the car off and physically pulled the clutch pedal back to normal height. Now, the clutch won't engage (not sure if that means it's always in or what, but that's what he said).

Stealer says it needs a new trans at $3500+

My thinking (and I haven't seen the car yet) is that the master and/or slave cylinders are shot, or -- even easier -- there's a ruptured hydraulic line.

Any ideas? I've never touched a VW before. If it does need a tranny, where can I get a used tranny for little money?

best, whit

EDIT: I guess the clutch has to be OUT, because he says that the car starts and the engine runs fine.
    Last edited by Kalevera; 05-02-2005 at 01:36 PM.

i don't have the answer to your question but i'm sure you'll find them here: www.vwvortex.com. goodluck.

Thanks 'beer -- I think I found that site earlier. It appears that some have hydraulic clutch lines and yet others have cables (!); I guess the cable can snap, causing this problem. Alternatively, there seems to be a keyed shaft inside some of these trannies that is known to shear.

It would be like a dealer to assess someone a new transmission because of either of those problems, though, wouldn't it

I fail to see how the internals of a VW 5 speed could just die, not only with so little milage on them, but also under such circumstances.

Anybody else have advice?!

best, whit

I don't have much advice on the subject, but I know around here those VW Trannies are about a dime a dozen at salvage yards. VERY popular car in this neck of the woods. I also heard that VW had an electrical NIGHTMARE with their MkIII cars (Jetta and Golf specifically) so thats something to watch out for.

I can tell you that these cars are VERY user friendly, very easy to work on for anyone with even a bit of knowledge.
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

I snapped the clutch cable in my old 1985 VW Scirroco. Not sure whether the 1995 Golf has a cable or not, but the symptoms sound similar. Easy to check for under the hood, the cable end should be visible atached to the clutch arm thingy, give iot a yank. If it is a cable, it may be an easy fix. My scirrroco was a half hour job.
    In the mean time, just role it slowly down the road and pop it into first, then drive around timing your shifts clutchless. Fun

Good Luck,

DAve M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

dunno if this is any help mate,
    but i had a 91 golf which snapped a clutch cable,
    easy fix, i think the 95's are hydraulic, if the clutch
    of box was fubar then the car would make a **** load
    of noise when running, well usually,

i think your in for an easy fix mate

I'm pretty shure you have a self adjusting French made clutch cable assy in it. I had the same problem with a friends car I replaced it for him.
    It has a plastic locking mechanism wich readjust the cable autmaticly,its not hard to replace and cost about $48.You won't have to go underneeth the car but inside the hookup to the pedal can be trying.Warning go by the instructions only,any pull on the core on the lower end can offset the lockng mechanism.