GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Help needed again. Screeching sound still around. (video included)

Default Help needed again. Screeching sound still around. (video included)

Going on from this thread;

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11118

I took the car for a quick spin today. I though the sound was coming from the rear of the car. Now I think it's coming from the left hand side (not the rear though). It gets louder as I accelerate harder. I'm pretty sure (?) that it is coming from the left hand side near the middle of the car (where I sit) or even futher toward the front like the front left wheel?

Video is here - 3 meg file size Right mouse click - file "Save As"

Any idea guys?

It really has me stumped - when I jack up the car / get undeneath it? I can't see or notice anything unsuall?

regards

kristian

its either your driveshaft of the rear cv joints hitting something. maybe the muffler but it seems like its there more when you accelerate so id guess some mounts are torn/trashed causing the engine, trans to tilt or move causing rubbing. Its obvious once you see whats hitting.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 05-02-2005 at 10:47 AM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I'd check all the following:

- engine mounts
    - tranny mounts
    - driveline center bearing
    - exhaust hangers near the half shafts

Basically, you need to get the car in the air and start poking around till you find what's trashed. Welcome to the darker side of track driving.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Default update.. some progress made

i removed the rear part of the exhaust and removed the heat shielding revealing the driveshaft and center bearing. There seems to be kocking of the driveshaft to the heat shielding. I can move the driveshaft about 2mm max, upon inital inspection, the center bearing looks okay.

hmm here are some pics.

the driveshaft - obvious scraping

maybe this is what is making the noise? I can't see anything else wrong? Can I drive my car around without the rear half of the exhaust - is the cat held up securely enough for me to take the car on a short trip? This is assuming I put the heat shielding back on (securely tightened) or maybe not back on to see if this is where the problem is

center bearing - i know the pic is not very clear

Last edited by BigKriss; 05-15-2005 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    maybe this is what is making the noise? I can't see anything else wrong? Can I drive my car around without the rear half of the exhaust - is the cat held up securely enough for me to take the car on a short trip? This is assuming I put the heat shielding back on (securely tightened) or maybe not back on to see if this is where the problem is

Hahaha oh you CAN drive without the back half of the exhaust.... BELIEVE ME

Had the same happen to mine after a buddy drove over somekind of cover on a road under construction. The cover hit my exhaust and drove it up into the heatshield. The driveshaft would then hit the heatshield under acceleration ... and only acceleration. Fixed it by pulling everything off and adding some clearance to the heatshield with a decent size hammer, reinstalled and no more noise. Had the exact same marks on my driveshaft.

hth,

Dave Menheere

thats definetly the problem, you should be able to bend the shield away from the shaft enough to eliminate the rubbing.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy