GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I switch to Lubo Moly?

Bimminator Guest

Default Should I switch to Lubo Moly?

I have been thinking of switching over to a synthetic in my 90 535i. I religiously change my oil every 3 months or so regardless of the k's (I'm currently at 283000kms) My mechanic services a few of us bimmer owners driving high k machines and he says some of these guys have switched to MoS2 anti-friction oil from Lubro Moly and they report niticable improvement in engine performance either in the form of fuel economy or in a smoother running engine. I'm partially intrigued that there is a teflon additive in this syn. oil which is supposed to really benefit an older engine like mine. I currently use 10w 40 and have also been told I should probably go 20w 50 in the summer and 10w 40 in the winter because of the high k's. I have been to bobstheoilguy.com and there is great info there but I would really like to hear from fellow e34 owners to find out what has worked well for you. Because I change oil so often, should I just stick to a high quality dino juice like Castrol or is there any merit to the supposed benefits of Lubro Moly currently endorsed by BMW, by the way.

Default Just stick to M1 synthetic and you should be fine.

There really is no need to waste your money. Lubromoly is an excellent oil, but I do not think the extra cost is warranted. I have a 95 525ia with 214k kms on the clock and I use M1 5w30 synthetic. I changed over from regular oil at 90k kms. No problems whatsoever and she still runs silky smooth. Like you I change my oil every 5k or 3 months, whichever comes first.

Brian

A few of us 535 guys seem to like the Mobil 1 0W 40. She runs nice and smooth, good all around protection, and when I pull off the cap to top up after 2 or 3k miles (4-5k intervals), the valves still look nice and golden. Oil looks brand new! The only downside is this weight mobil 1 can be hard to find sometimes.
    Mike S.
    1992 535iM black/black
    1997 540iM white/gray
    Retired: 89 535iA, 85 318i

<<Support your local autobahn, stay out of the left lane!>>

Use M1 Euro synth, or the 5w to help limit top end noise. It seems like we beat this topic into the ground every two weeks or so. M1 = officially recommended oil of bimmer.info's pack of wild e34 owners.

Best, whit

Bimminator Guest

Yes I have noticed the debate that rages every so often, I just thought I would inquire if anyone was using the Lubro Moly and what the overall consensus was. Thanks for th input, always appreciated.

the name Lubro Moly scares me, Moly is a paste type lube usen in the break in of camshafts and if left in the oil for any length of time will completely trash the bearings...Im sure thats not what is in it but its all in the name at times.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    the name Lubro Moly scares me, Moly is a paste type lube usen in the break in of camshafts and if left in the oil for any length of time will completely trash the bearings...Im sure thats not what is in it but its all in the name at times.

nuh uh..... lubro moly is the premier kr... (i won't say the k word) germanian supplier of additives, antifreeze, oil, preparation+replenishment lubes (like cv joints, assembly lubes) its boutique oil. they make the ventil sauber fuel injector cleaner. they have an "additive" to add to oil, but that has nothin to do with the rest of their synthetic oils. not buying lubro moly oil cause you think it has moly-bdenum is like not buying castrol cause you think they make their oil out of castor oil beans.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Whale oil
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    Whale oil

i think what jeff's trying to say is that you should use the same oil that he uses in his m60. that oil is shell fire and ice, sae 60, which is approved for today's hi-teck, harder working straight eight engines.....
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Shell fire and ice...good stuff!!! First 2 experiences in spinning main bearings. The thoughts of my youth.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast