GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 535i Drivers side wiper position

Default 535i Drivers side wiper position

For some reason the drivers side wiper keeps hitting the trim around the top-side of the windshield on its up stroke, and makes a very annoying sound. I took the arm off the wiper spline and put it 1 position down, but then it puts the wiper about 1mm from the cowl. It didn't do it when I got the car, and the only thing I changed was the wiper blade insert (not the whole arm, just the insert blade) which didn't have this problem to start with - but in the past 2 weeks it has. Any idea's?

has the insert moved n the arm.If it has moved outward it would exhibit those symptoms?
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    has the insert moved n the arm.If it has moved outward it would exhibit those symptoms?
    Doesn't look like it. Looking at pictures, it looks like there are 2 positions in the pics - the one position tucks the tip of the drivers wiper under the passenger wiper arm (doesn't touch), other position is what mine was - but it touches the window. Now it hits the cowl! I'd rather it be in the position with it tucked under the passenger wiper - looks better. But I'll deal with it hitting the cowel before hitting the hard dryrotted trim around the windshield.

flip it over.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Mine was doing this too. Previous owner just replaced the rubber, and not the wiper arm. When you do this, the arm that actually holds the rubber can loosen over time (there's a metal retaining clamp that slips if you just replace the blade), thus 'throws' the rubber outward on every stroke.

I just sprung for a new wiper blade arm... clicked it in... no more problem.

Quote Originally Posted by epj3
    For some reason the drivers side wiper keeps hitting the trim around the top-side of the windshield on its up stroke, and makes a very annoying sound. I took the arm off the wiper spline and put it 1 position down, but then it puts the wiper about 1mm from the cowl. It didn't do it when I got the car, and the only thing I changed was the wiper blade insert (not the whole arm, just the insert blade) which didn't have this problem to start with - but in the past 2 weeks it has. Any idea's?
    I believe the problem can be caused by worn wiper spindle bushes or linkages. There is practically no margin for error with any slackness in the wiper mechanism at all. A common E34 problem is the lower part of the arm (not the blade) hitting the hood instead. I tried moving my wiper arm around 1 spline to prevent the arm from hitting the hood but wound up with it hitting the top-side of the windshield just like yours. As you can see there is not any real leeway to position the wiper arm by rotating even one spline without causing problems elsewhere.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Quote Originally Posted by pundit
    I believe the problem can be caused by worn wiper spindle bushes or linkages. There is practically no margin for error with any slackness in the wiper mechanism at all. A common E34 problem is the lower part of the arm (not the blade) hitting the hood instead...
    This is the problem I have. I removed the driver's side arm from the spline too, but noticed a little metal button that applies pressure to the blade via a series of springs within the lower section of the arm. I can't figure out what this really achieves, but am guessing it varies blade angle depending on wiper position...

On mine the metal button is very worn, so I expect this is the cause... not sure how to replace... has anyone done this? Perhaps its means a new assembly beneath the area where the spline sticks through... it'd be somehting one'd want to buy new really... any thoughts fellows??

GP
    Last edited by genphreak; 04-29-2005 at 10:49 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

flip it over.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by pundit
    I believe the problem can be caused by worn wiper spindle bushes or linkages. There is practically no margin for error with any slackness in the wiper mechanism at all. A common E34 problem is the lower part of the arm (not the blade) hitting the hood instead. I tried moving my wiper arm around 1 spline to prevent the arm from hitting the hood but wound up with it hitting the top-side of the windshield just like yours. As you can see there is not any real leeway to position the wiper arm by rotating even one spline without causing problems elsewhere.
    mine hits the hood too. i tried moving it and adjusting it but nothing helped. is there an easy solution to this problem?

ya, just get a new blade! :P I was trying everything prior to that. I just wanted to change the rubber... tried tightening the metal clamps... moving it here and there... kept sliding out and hitting the windshield frame.

In the end, I just got new SWF blades. But of course... the spoiler doesn't have the roundel.. so I just unclipped my BMW spoiler, removed the SWF spoiler and clicked it in. Good as new... new blades come with some 'wear sensor' sticker that turns yellow when you need to change your blades. US$25 for a set.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast