GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Live with it, fix it, or sell it....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Live with it, fix it, or sell it....

I have a '95 540ia w/ 155,000 miles. I love the way it looks (I still think the E34 is the "classic" BMW), and I love the power rush of the V8. But I'm growing tired of replacing and re-doing the various parts & systems on my car.

I hate the way it rides and handles. I think the PO screwed up the suspension with some questionable mods, and I've undone most of them, but I think the only way to get it right is to start over and rebuild the steering & suspension at all 4 corners. I got the shimmy-shakes under braking, loose on center steering, and zero dampening suspension. (No need to re-hash all the possible solution.... believe me, I researched high & low about the probable causes)

Given the age and value of the car, and the fact that it's not a daily driver. Should I just live with it? Assuming I DO NOT replace the steering box, how much should it cost me to rebuild the front end and rear suspension (probably with an indy, not DIY). I would like to do a tasteful lowering, but I want a setup that works (READ: Not BavAuto springs & Bilstein Sports)

I think if it handled better and rode better I could justify the expense to do it, but if only marginal improvement I'd just as soon live with it or sell it and maybe get another 3 series.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by myblack540i; 04-29-2005 at 04:47 PM.