GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Wife Thinking Of Purchasing VW Passat GLX

Default OT: Wife Thinking Of Purchasing VW Passat GLX

Its a 2000 Passat GLX with the V6. Anyone had any experience with these vehicles? Anyone have an opinion on VWs?
    95 BMW 525i
    Loveland, CO. USA

Default Here is the story with VWs.....

You either get a good one or a bad one. There is no in between. Fortuanately my fiance's family has had 2 of them for quite some time now (97 & 2002 Jettas) and they have run perfectly. On the other hand, I have other friends that just curse their cars. The VR6 engine is a strong engine, but it is the electricals that are the headaches. If you ask me, I would stay away from a used VW without records. In my opinion I would just get her a 3 series. At least you will have the board and people you know who could help you out with any issues. Chances are you already know what those issues would be with a 3 series anyways, being a 5 series owner. VWs are nice cars to drive, but they could be a constant nag if you do not get the right one. If you are adamant on getting a VW do your homework, or else you will get burned.

Just my 2c

Brian

I often get into it w/ friends who are VW fans, as I am not. Western makes some good points. VW's may run forever which is what most people say, but their maintenance can be mroe than our E34s. Electricals are a mess, b/c VW often outsources their electronics to whoevers cheapest at a given time. So it always changes and the reliability of some of the cheap asian stuff can be suspect. I think the 2000 Pasat may fall into that ignition coil failover range. Funny thing is... whenever I was single, an automatic disqualification for a girl was if she drove a VW/Audi. Its such a wanna be trendy car company, reaping the benefits of popularity w/ junk.

Interesting was some time ago there was a rumor VW was looking into establishing a US plant... I wondered why... was it to transfer operations from Mexico which build a lot of crap... or from Germany... but if from Germany then they might be producing more crap. Even BMW had a few bad years and still has some issues w/ South Carolina... To me VW will get away with whatever the can to make an extra buck.

Lately I hate VW even more because I cant stand companies that cross models over brands... Pasat = A4, TT = Boxster, Tourag = Cayenne.... Most engines cross between Audi & VW.... the cars have no identity... and it cheapens the brand... It's just as bad as Ford using buick parts in a Jaguar.... or Mercedes givin parts to Chrysler...

As far as performance goes, a buddy of mine had 2000 jetta VR6 5sp and we were always neck and neck in my '92 525i 5sp when it was stock. But im sure your wife doesnt care about that

Default Back in the mid 70's when i first started working as a mechanic my first

shop that i worked at was a vw/porsche shop... I loved volkswagens then...
    All of them that i work on now, since about the mid nineties are some of the worst cars that i have seen...and its a shame considering how good they used to be... Way too many problems with them now.. electrical glitches galore,transmission failures, engine ... I would not buy a volkswagen now. And my wife still likes them appearance wise but I make it a point to show her every time i have one come in with low miles and big problems....

Quote Originally Posted by wishihad50k
    Its a 2000 Passat GLX with the V6. Anyone had any experience with these vehicles? Anyone have an opinion on VWs?

I had a 96 Jetta GL before my 93 525 and I was happy to get rid of it. Out of the many things that went wrong with it (engine problems, AC problems, oil leaks, etc., 2 burned out stereos & a burned out amp), the last and final thing was pretty retarded - the ignition switch just plain broke. I had to get a new one put in, but they didn't match the key to the door, thus, I had to use two keys. That was the final straw for me. Another thing that bugged the hell out of me was the fact that there was no light in the trunk. What were they thinking!! I won't ever buy VW again.

Dan...Ford doesn't own Buick, mate But I get your point, just being an ass

Best, whit

I always knew that VW = Audi, but I never knew that Tourag = Cayenne. I just noticed on the freeway the other day how they look nearly identical. Is this really true?

I had a '91 Passat before my first bimmer.

They say "nothing in life is as reliable as a Volkswagon."

This may be true as I could rely on mine to go wrong at least once a week.

Wow, thanks for the heads up. The whole story here is that my wife ran into someone who banks at one of the smaller credit unions in town and she told her that they had a bank repoed 2000 VW Passat. So we went and checked it out and it looked really nice inside and out and ran great. So we put a small bid in of $8200 (the car blue books for $12,000). The bank called us a few weeks latter and said that we had won the bid and that everyone else who bid on it after us backed out because they had no records of things like gen. stuff and timing belt etc. So I ran a quick carfax and found out where it was orig. purchased. I called the only VW dealer in that town, gave them the vin # and they looked it up. They had all the records of all the oil changes and the regular stuff and they also had records of the timing belt, water pump, and all the other big stuff. So I had it checked out by my local guy and he told me the car is tip top. So thats where we are...
    95 BMW 525i
    Loveland, CO. USA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast