GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well that was kinda scary

Default Well that was kinda scary

I just tried the old seafoam in the vaccum line trick.

I got someone to hold the RPMs up a little over 2,000 to start out. I would have gone higher, but I have an automatic and I was afraid of revving it too much in park.

I used the FPR vaccum line and started letting it suck in seafoam. Nothing happened at first.. then still nothing.. then I got impatient and let it suck solid liquid in. After about 4 seconds of that the idle went all to hell. The person in the car said they couldn't keep the idle up at all any longer and I went ahead and stopped at that point. I wasn't planning on letting it stall out like others had.

The idle was still horrible, and at no point had i seen any smoke.

I put the line back on the FPR and jumped in the car. As I started to back out I realized I had almost no power. It took half throttle just to get it out of the driveway. Then the smoke came. I fogged my entire street as I headed out onto the open road. After a few more seconds the smoke stopped but the throttle response still wasn't there. I gave it lots of gas and drove hard for about 10minutes. Throttle is back to normal (I think) and the idle is back to silky smooth.

I might get the balls up again to idle it at 3,000 and let it suck up 'foam until it dies and then let it soak. For now though I think I'll just dump the rest of the bottle in the gas tank and hope I didn't break anything

I'll post an update later if i notice a big difference or i do it again. Right now the radiator hoses are on their last legs and i've not been driving it.

You the man...!!!
    Pls keep us updated. If it's making a big different (& I can collect my guts), I will follow you soon.
    Cheers,
    CC1
    '95 BMW-540i/Auto (ZF-5HP30)...NO reverse
    "Original" Nikasil block (+ Fristo Lays Chip)
    87+ K Miles

So what's the problem? Every car i've done it to this is how it was done :-)

Default my M50tu did same thing....

did the ingestion half bottle, let sit few minutes then finish bottle. got great results, was happy, BUT...
    ... someone on the board older and wiser than I (no names) schooled me a bit... while you get instant gratification from better idle, acceleration, less pinging, etc, you're killing lubrication in your engine, flushing oil around the rings, washing the cylinder walls of the same, getting the stuff down past the rings into your oil sump.. all bad. So my word is if you're gonna do it, at least be aware of these other negative side-effects. No silver bullet :-)
    , Rob.

Bimminator Guest

What about doing a couple of oil changes in a row to clean things out and relube the engine with some clean stuff. Another trick I've used on my Volvo 740 with major K's was to put about half a litre of tranny fluid in the crank case a couple of days before an oil change. I found this cleaned things out pretty good. Not to seem to stupid but what is this seafoam trick? What product do you use.

"shakes head"

this whole thread makes me nauseous.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

yeah, i knew it was "supposed" to do that.. i'm just paranoid about my car

Yeah i was aware that the FPR vaccume line is probably unevenly distributing the fluid to the cylinders, but i didn't put much, and i wasn't planning to put much, so i'm not too worried. the oil thats in there now is a good weight and its getting changed sunday.

Interestingly enough i discovered seafoam doesn't evaporate almost at all. sitting in the heat for 36 hours had no effect on a puddles volume. Its also very slick, and clingly (reminds me of pure antifreeze.. or thin armor-all).

If you've got a mind to do something like this go over to bobistheoilguy.com forums and search the topic. its what i did before i started this and i learned a lot. if i haddn't had the seafoam on hand i would have gone with a different product and method entirely.

Default That's kind a

how it should go.

Warm up.

Suck down some Seafoam.

Let it sit a while.

Start up.

Fumigate the neighborhood.

Crispy clean intake.

But don't do it every oil change.
    This is an aggressive cleaning and should be used only periodically.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

i dont understand what you are trying to aheive and what this seafoam stuff is.....surely a can of injector cleaner a good state of tune and regular maintenance is all we need...this stuff sounds scary!
    Gone but not forgotten

It's used in this method as a decarbonizer, a top engine cleaner. The application procedures for Seafoam are no different than any top engine cleaner: Allow enough in to saturate, allow to soak into deposits for an period of time, then restart to blow the soggy carbon crud out. This accomplishes something no injector or fuel system cleaner can do, because it saturates and soaks carbon deposits that would otherwise have to be removed manually.

Sure it's not fantastic for your engine, but neither are carbon deposits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast