GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions on next tire purchase....

Default Need suggestions on next tire purchase....

Ok, the tires that were on the car when I bought it 4 years ago, were Pirelli P700 supersports, so when they became tired I bought another set of 245/45/17's, all around.
    I hated these tires and when it was time to replace them, I bought a set of Kumho 712's and these tires I had great luck with and were 10 times better than the P7000 ss.
    After the 712's became worn, I almost bought the 712's again, because "for the money" I thought these tires couldn't be beat.
    Sooooo, I started looking around and decided to give the Yokahama AVS ES 100's a try, BAD IDEA, they are great in the rain, handle the twisties a little better than the 712's (stronger sidewall) BUT they are LOUD AS HELL and I only have 6,000 miles on them.
    Can you guys suggest a tire that is great in the rain, handles great on dry pavement AND is quiet, DOES THIS TIRE EXIST!

Thanks, Keith '95 540

Default Tires....

Its time to replace my 712's as well... i found them a great tire except for a lot of noise towards the end of their life... they quieted down a bit the last few months of last fall, but during the spring/early summer it sounded like my rear end was going...
    I have been thinking of the Kuhmo one grade down from the 712...the one with a more normal tread?????
    Gordon Lawson
    Niagara on the Lake
    Ont., Canada
    1989 535i 5speed "Eat'n"

DO NOT BUY DUNLOPS!... Whatever you do... DONT buy the DUNLOPS! HORRIBLE.. HORRIBLE!

Default I had Dunlops on the front for a while. Didn't like them either.

I had Dunlops on the front for a while. Didn't like them either.

i have falken azenis II i cant find them on tires.com anymore but they were cheap, and really really quiet. handled great and even drove better on snow/ice than my bfgoodrich touring tires.

Default don't know whats up with all the dunlop hatred.....

have 225/65/15 dunlop a2s on the car and will likely replace with the same if they don't wear out too fast. i cant get them to squeak horizontally, hold well--have no complaints with them. if one of youy could explain why you don't like them....
    Last edited by ryan roopnarine; 02-22-2004 at 05:13 PM.

they are quite and look good.. i had the A2's also.. they went out fast... fast enough so that i got a new set at only paying 15% of the cost.. so i got the same again.. and they went out fast again.. this time the tire co just paid for full replacement.. so i got pirelli's..have a year on the pirellis.. and replaced 2 sets of dunlops in under a year

If you are looking for all season tires... there are no good tires... You can try the Bridgestones... they seem to be the best by the design of their treads but again... I don't buy all seasons...

I swears by Bridgestone RE730 for summer... but they don't make this anymore and had a fiasco with noise for several months of manufacturing error... I had an early one so don't have those noise problem. Last very long and still using it. RE750 is the replacement one.

Default I have being using Dunlop SP5000's for a while now

235/45/17 and have been happy with them. They are quiet and grip well. I had them on my 1st Cirrus Blue e34 and my current black e34. When I bought the BBS RK's they came with Sumitomo's or something that were loud and didnt get good traction.

Maybe next time I will try a different brand of tire

Well they are by no means cheap, but Bridgestone SO-3s are the bomb.
    Super sticky in the dry, excellent in the rain and not that loud. I think it’s in the tread design. They’re on the Sentra and that is the car that i AutoX w/ and am planning some road course schools.
    At the Kumho/Yoko price point, it seems that u need to compromise something.
    Kumho 712s on the 5er and Yoko ES100s on the 3er and i think that’s appropriate. 712s; decent and quiet, ESs; sticky and a little loud. Of course the exhaust on the 3er is quite boomy thru age so i really don’t notice.
    YMMV and IMO on all this, as both bimmers are running on snows right now.
    The SE-R is in storage, but it got to play a little today.

93 SE-R---94 530iT&A---92 325i ….”Hang up & Drive!”
    ”It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error;
    It is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error."--Robert H. Jackson.
    Last edited by paul p (chi-town); 02-22-2004 at 06:08 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast