GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Seatbelt buckle fix

Default Seatbelt buckle fix

I fixed the jammed seatbelt buckle. The mechanicals were intact and probably bulletproof. The problem was one of the black plastic guide springs (which guide the seatbelt tongue into the buckle clasp and keep anti-rattle pressure on the tongue when inserted) had broken and the bits fell into and jammed the release mechanism.

Fix is to pry the two halves of the clamshell cover apart by inserting a thin flat blade screwdriver at their upper joint, next to the red release button. First spread a towel under the buckle, so no pieces fall down into the seat track and get lost. The clamshell buckle cover snaps apart. Inspect and remove any debris. With clamshell cover off, test the buckle for proper operation, first noting the proper position of internal accordian spring, etc..

I glued the pieces of the black plastic guilde spring back together with JB Weld, but now wish I'd used dabs of silicone caulk bath tub sealant. This stuff is very tough, yet stays flexible and springy, so I could have molded a replacement for the guide spring with it. Silicone sealant would also have made an excellent glue to put the clamsehell cover back together, although Krazy glue works reasonably well.

Another great write up. I will use this info for my sticking buckle.

Thanks!