GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there an alternative to Shell's LA3624 fluid for 540s?

Default Is there an alternative to Shell's LA3624 fluid for 540s?

I've read that many have switched to Redline's ATF, but has anyone used any Amsoil products or Mobil1 ATF? I'm interested only because a lifetime fluid is a lifetime of ********. I spent too much money on my rebuild last year and WILL NOT leave this stuff in there indefinitely. Just looking for you opinions or experience.

After much engineering and testing, the Shell LA3624 is the only fluid ZF recommends. I wouldn't deviate - penny-wise pound foolish IMHO.
    http://www.zf-group.com/am/pc/pt/ampcpt04.phtml

From ZF's website:

Q: What type of oil do I need to use in my ZF automatic transmission?
    A: Each transmission needs a specific type of transmission fluid to operate properly. The use of incorrect transmission fluid may cause extensive damage to internal parts of the transmission and may bring the transmission right back to your shop. For a complete list of ZF recommended lubricants please refer to the lubrication list.

Q: Can I fill my 5HP30 transmission with ATF Dexron II instead of the oil specified? Why?
    A: It is not recommended by ZF to use any lubricant other that those specified (see lubrication list). Use of any lubricant other than those specified by ZF may cause extensive damage to the clutch (friction) plates inside the transmission and the torque converter.

I bought a 20 liter container (Part #S671 090 149) from Transtar Industries - this is enough to do 2 changes. I paid about $10/liter (a much better deal than www.jie.com!)... They only sell to dealers/transmission shops, so just make up a name! Good luck!!

Transtar Industries, Inc.
    Phone: (800) 359-3339 or (440) 232-5100
    infodesk@transtarindustries.com

Bryan
    94 540iA w/ EAT
    97 740iL (SOLD!)
    99 Discovery II

no because other fluids can de-laminate the friction plates.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I am using Pennzoil MultiVehicle Semi-synthetic ATF. I have it the car since last summer when I had my valve body rebuilt. The car has 6000 miles on that fluid so far. Nothing wrong at all. Same feeling as original Shell...

Funfer has used Mobil 1 ATF in his car... sold to his friend and he has 45K miles on it. Funfer doesn't use this forum anymore...

There was another guy who first used Pennzoil and then switched to Redline ATF... he likes Redline better... silkier and smoother shifting.

I also have 94 540i.

Hi all,
    I've never posted before, so be patient if I somehow manage to screw this up. I called Shell to ask them where I could find this wonder fluid. They told me that the LA 3624 is a Euro spec fluid and only available there. For us in the States, the rep suggested either Pennzoil Multi-vehicle synthetic ATF or Quaker State Multi-vehicle synthetic ATF. Shell makes both of these oils so I suspect they are chemically similar to the 2634 oil. I queried the guy at some length and he seems to know what he was talking about. Not sure about Amsoil or Redline, but from what I've read, Mobil 1 recommends you not use their fluid in this trans. There is a letter on some threads purporting to be from a VP at Valvoline. It claims that their fluid is completely compatible with your tranny, and seems to warranty any problems it could cause. This might be an urban legend. I emailed Valvoline some time ago for clarification, but haven't yet gotten any reply.
    Hope that helps.

Paul

I e-mailed Amsoil's tech rep some time ago and he replied NOT to use Amsoil's ATF in ZF transmissions calling for the Shell LA2634.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

Default i asked kirt koeller...............

he said LA 2634 for an original transmissions, but the rebuilt he sold me had the updated parts which allows the use of esso which is what he filled it with.
    tim s.

The transmission in my '95 has had Pennzoil MVATF in it for more than 25000 miles. No catastrophic failure so far!

isn't both the Esso and Shell fluid correct fluids? I cant find my chart dammit. Bill R has postd it numerous times.
    Quote Originally Posted by tim s
    he said LA 2634 for an original transmissions, but the rebuilt he sold me had the updated parts which allows the use of esso which is what he filled it with.
    tim s.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Agreed... I used it siince 2001... 6 years and zero problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast