GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 'new' 1994 - 520i SE Touring

Default 'new' 1994 - 520i SE Touring

hi

i bought the above model - 97k miles - last week, gave it a very good drive, oil (+filter) and brake fluid change, valet / clean over the weekend and have the following observations that I would greatly appreciate your feedback on:

1. slightly irregular feel when engine is idling - suggestions
    2. noise when full steering lock in tight (and v. steep) lane - just noticed this am - no sound when full lock for 180 degree turn
    3. very slight front end vibration when easing off accelerator on motorway (going from 110 mph - smooth - to 80/5 mph) - tracking? is this an issue or am i just driving too fast?
    4. require new motor for rear wipe - difficult to fit? expensive? where to source? also may need to replace hydraulics on tailgate

other than that i love it and can see many happy miles

your feedback is much appreciated

amb
    n16 (london)

1) Change your spark plugs, clean/change airfilter, intake tube. make sure hoses are pluged in. There maybe lose vacumn hoses. Check each one.
    2) Check PS reservior on driverside behind headlight. Make sure fluid level is OK. Refill otherwise. Check ps hoses. See if ends are oily, possibly leaking. Tighten clamps if you can reach them.
    3) Maybe simple as tires are not properly balanced. Put your *best* pair of tires up front. These cars track very well even at obscene speeds!. Rims if non-stock ones may need hubcentric rings. What rims do you have ?. Basketweaves ? If so, are they bent?.
    4) REar motor. No hard but lots of stuff to take out. Hydraulics of tailgate : Trunklid shocks are DIFFICULT. Get the dealer to do this, need special tools, not DIY stuff!. The big tailgate hook shocks are exposed, check ends to see if special crimping tool is needed. I got trunklid shocks done at dealer. Took them 2 hrs! Everything off. Works great now.
    Good luck.

Default thanks for feedback

many thanks for your excellent advice

1, 2 top of list for this weekend
    3 brand new boots all round so will get tracking checked
    4 i'll take your advice and bite the bullet > how much did you spend out of interest?

got lots of great london contacts from car audio guy the other day - should i be looking to post these to this board?

many thanks

amb

oh yeah - rims are mint originals

Hi ambn,

I am in Philippines. Fairly high taxation on cars here. eg new E60 525 going for USD 82K. Got touring at a bargain for 11K and spent about 2K on it already. I got an Alpine 9830 installed with DLS front speakers, taken my RF 600a4 amp. Paid $500 for the Alpine and speakers plus great install. Sound awesome and it does MP3 disks which i particularly liked.
    This weekend, last bits of addition, new steering tie-rods and OBC retrofit!.

Those stock rims are good but very light and weak. If you hit a large port-hole at speed it will bend the rim!. Two of mine were bent and repaired by PO, I am looking for upgrade later on these things, but now since I got new rubber all round, I am enjoying it. Best of luck.
    PS: My biggest kick is, it drives better than an X3 3.0i that costs about 5 times as much, what a bargain!.

let's see it!

get a free account at www.photobucket.com and upload some pics and paste the img.urls here

welcome tourer

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

I got a cardomain account but it had only pictures of my E46 wheel iinstall. Hopefully, this weekend I should get pics cut and posted there. Been busy with work and family stuff. Just got a "lecture" from a Christian nun yesterday when I was trying to enrol my 5 year old in a pre-school there.....