GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E34 stereo question

Default E34 stereo question

I had a 1990 E34 525i with a stock stereo and cd unit in the trunk. It sounded great.

I then got a 1993 E34 525i with no cd unit and it sounds pretty bad. no headroom and seems to distort and have a fuzzy sound just over half way.

I replaced the Head Unit with an Alpine CD player and it still sounds exactly the same. I can't figure out if its the speakers or the factory amp or what.
    Anyone else run into this?? Any suggestions? thanks.

SKB

did you check to see if anyone messed with the factory wiring? Maybe someone bypassed the amp and used something else at some time or another and threw the stock stuff back in without hooking up the amp?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    did you check to see if anyone messed with the factory wiring? Maybe someone bypassed the amp and used something else at some time or another and threw the stock stuff back in without hooking up the amp?
    Yes I repaced the factory wireing with a wireing harness. I soldered all the connections myself as per the wireing diagram. F & R , Left and right chn's all work fine. Fades OK. However I wondered about the amp too. Is that located under the rear seat drivers side?? Does seem like the speakers are not getting enough power.

The factory amp is usually located on the drivers side of the trunk behind the lining. (between the corner of the car and the wheel well).

If you haven't hooked up the factory amp, the head unit (stock or not) will likely not have enough power to drive the speakers cleanly. Hence the distortion.

You'll need a wiring diagram for the factory amp inputs and outputs... I cannot remember the details but know it was a little unconventional. Many people prefer to replace the factory amp with a more current one.
    01 740i sport
    92 535i
    92 525 touring
    88 325ic

did you get a converter box such as the Pac OEM 2 to convert the signal of the aftermarket headunit to a common ground signal that the factory amp needs. When I installed my headunit it was really distorted and then I talked to the ctrutchfield people and they said that I needed that, so i installed that in and sounds great now.

Quote Originally Posted by bjl4776
    did you get a converter box such as the Pac OEM 2 to convert the signal of the aftermarket headunit to a common ground signal that the factory amp needs. When I installed my headunit it was really distorted and then I talked to the ctrutchfield people and they said that I needed that, so i installed that in and sounds great now.
    I have a PAC OEM2 for sale if anyone is interested make an offer

Quote Originally Posted by bjl4776
    Good point and yes I did get the Pac OEM 2 from Crutchfield and have it turned up about 3/4 on the 4 small volume pot's. It does now sound like the OEM amp may not be hooked up..or may be sick. I will check that (or maybe just replace it) now I know where it is. Thanks folks this helps a bunch!!

SKB

Quote Originally Posted by SKB
    Good point and yes I did get the Pac OEM 2 from Crutchfield and have it turned up about 3/4 on the 4 small volume pot's. It does now sound like the OEM amp may not be hooked up..or may be sick. I will check that (or maybe just replace it) now I know where it is. Thanks folks this helps a bunch!!

SKB

If you need an OEM amp, let me know. I have one laying around in good working condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    If you need an OEM amp, let me know. I have one laying around in good working condition.

thanks Jon

I'm going to check it out in the next couple days..I very well may be in touch.
    SKB

Quote Originally Posted by SKB
    thanks Jon

I'm going to check it out in the next couple days..I very well may be in touch.
    SKB

OK I found the amp and checked it out. It seems to be OK. I actually pulled the fuse and tried it and nothing. Then put the fuse back in and it played as normal. I'm thinking now this is just normal operation. I have the Alpine HU going into the PAC OEM-2. All speakers work fine. The max vol. on the HU is 35. It starts to distort at about 26-27 with CD or radio and Loudness off.

Again I have a '93 525I, But my '90 525I sounded very good and crunchy and I could just about max it out with no distortion. Does anyone know if the '90 525I used a different OEM amp than the '93 525I? Jon k. what year is your OEM amp from?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast