GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Factory alarm questions

Default Factory alarm questions

I just picked up '92 525. It has the factory LED and glass break sensor on the rear of the center console. Am I right to assume this means it has the factory alarm? If so what do I need to do to make it work since I didn't get any remotes with the car? I know I can buy the remotes, but how do I know what chip the remote needs?

Thanks!

Default no need to assume, just raise the rear seat up...

...when you raise the rear seat...you should see the control unit on the drivers side. If the control unit is there...all you need to do is pick up a 3 button remobte fob...make sure it has a chip in it. When you receive the remote...take the chip out and place it in the control unit and hit the reset button. ( this codes the chip to that control unit) Once the chip is coded, place it back into the remote fob.

Click this link to see location of control unit under rear seat (of an e34)...AND...to see the instructions and details about the BMW Alpine keyless entry system

Instructions how to lift rear seat:
    1. get in and straddle the tranny hump with your bum raised above the bottom cushion but your back against the upper cushion.
    2. place your hands at the center point of each side and get a grip of the lower cushion.
    3. With you back braced against the upper rear cushion, your bum raised above the lower cushion, and your feet on each side of the tranny hump...LIFT UP firmly on the lower cushion to release it from the clips on each side. (you can see where the seat clips into the car in the pics at the link above...there is a cut-out in the carpet along the ridge that the seat rests upon).
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Default alarm detects?

What does factory alarm do? I know it has break glass sensor but does it have shock sensor or something? My car got hit and run and i was upstairs prolly 10 ft up above it and I never heard anything?

Thanks QSilver, very good information, exactly what I needed!!

QS7, Very nice pics of the Alpine alarm. Well done. So its the 26 pin green connector that comes for the battery side of the wiring harness ?. And there is a black co-ax cable out f the alarm unit, is that the antenna ?.

Inferno

your shits broken.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Just wanted to say thanks again for the help. Received my new alarm button in the mail today and followed the programming procedure. I now have a working factory alarm for $32

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2000 323iT - UUC BBK, PSS9 Coilovers
    2005 GMC HD Crew

Quote Originally Posted by emw525E34
    QS7, Very nice pics of the Alpine alarm. Well done. So its the 26 pin green connector that comes for the battery side of the wiring harness ?. And there is a black co-ax cable out f the alarm unit, is that the antenna ?.
    Thank you and yes, and yes...green harness snakes over from the battery side and that is the antenna coming from the bottom right side of the control unit.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Quote Originally Posted by brodee
    Just wanted to say thanks again for the help. Received my new alarm button in the mail today and followed the programming procedure. I now have a working factory alarm for $32
    Glad it worked out...and I LOVE the MPars on your Touring. I know some think the MPars are a dime a dozen...but those wheels make every BMW they're on look fantastic IMHO!!!
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Default Location of Alarm

Quote Originally Posted by brodee
    I just picked up '92 525. It has the factory LED and glass break sensor on the rear of the center console. Am I right to assume this means it has the factory alarm? If so what do I need to do to make it work since I didn't get any remotes with the car? I know I can buy the remotes, but how do I know what chip the remote needs?

Thanks!
    If you look under the back seat you will find the alarm module. If it is ther you will need to get a remote. If you get FCC number the remote you will need is the FCC # plus one
    Daniel