GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driveline problem...theory?

Default Driveline problem...theory?

Ok, had my 90 535i since November last year. When I had first gotten it there was a lot of "vibration'. Replaced the Motor mounts and this seemed to have solved 80% of it. I still have the tranny mounts to replace but here is what I am left with:
    A vibration/shutter that occurs only between 40-60km while under acceleration/load that feels worse when the car warms up. If I kick the car down and raise the RPM's this usually makes the vibration go away. If I am passing on the highway 80-100km, no vibration felt at all....

Possible causes:
    Tranny mounts - I think would only mask the feeling more
    Tires - would only get worse as the car got faster.
    Driveline balance - I would think that this as well would only get worse as RPM increased.
    My guess is now:
    Replace guibo and hanger bearing? Is there anything else I should consider with that? U-joints? I am thinking that it is worse when it heats up cause either the rubber of the guibo or hanger bearing "expand" when heated...and it is only bad at certain speed/rpm cause the bearing or guibo again get the right amount of force to start to fail?
    I guess it also could be coil pack in the tranny?
    DO you think I am right in trying the guibo/hanger-bearing combo next?

If it's the guibo, you'll know it when you look at it. Guibos that have failed to the point of making vibrations like this are very visibly destroyed.

If it's not the guibo, it's failed universal joints. 170,000km is a bit early for them to fail (more like 170,000mi) - but if it's the case, you're looking at about $500 for a new driveshaft, as the joints aren't serviceable.

The failure symptoms of each are pretty similar; as they're both exacerbated by torque. Only slight difference is that a failed guibo will shake all the time (more when torqued), while a u-joint will only tend to shake when it's torqued the most (on a manual; upper end of 1st gear and lower end of 2nd).

My money's on the driveshaft. :\

Hmm, really? What about the hanger-bearing...is there much harm in going in changing the guibo and hanger bearing. THen if vibration is still there, then I am looking at a driveshaft?

Default Hey... Guelph Guy

I'm in Kitchener now... so we're neighbours! I'm gonna have to change my nick to tallkwguy.

Where are you getting parts and service in this area?
    01 740i sport
    92 535i
    92 525 touring
    88 325ic

Quote Originally Posted by Guelphguy
    Hmm, really? What about the hanger-bearing...is there much harm in going in changing the guibo and hanger bearing. THen if vibration is still there, then I am looking at a driveshaft?
    Yeah, like I said, if it's the guibo, you'll know it by looking at it. A failed guibo is a pretty obvious sight. Also, if it has failed, you don't have much time before the car becomes undriveable. Ask me how I know.

The hanger bearing is a possibility - but you wouldn't be feeling a torque-related shake from it, rather a wheel-speed related shake. You'll be replacing this with a new driveshaft anyhow.

the center bearing has a rubber surround, that should be obvios if its torn up, the bearing itself if it dont have play will growel. I have seen pictures of the rubber part completely gone. Check/replace guibo and then take a look at the center bearing. There is a special way to install these with preload...well get to that if you need to replace it.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

From your description, this sounds like an automatic. If so then you don't have a guibo. Canadian cars may be different but the exhaust on the US 535ia's cook the trans mounts. Mine were separated and compressed in length. Likewise the rubber surround on the center bearing becomes distorted after 15+ years of heat, abuse and doesn't hold the driveshaft at the correct height. Check the u-joints for play, my bet is they're ok, and change the center bearing and trans mounts.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by Guelphguy
    ........ If I kick the car down and raise the RPM's this usually makes the vibration ....
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellicose Right Winger
    From your description, this sounds like an automatic. If so then you don't have a guibo.
    Paul Shovestul
    not trying to be impolite paul, but if automatics don't have jew-bo's, i spent about 8 hours retrofitting one to my auto 92 525i. i made a poll about this, winfred said something to the effect of him rarely seeing the forward u-joint fitting on automatic e32s or e34s (i apologise if i remember your exact statement incorrectly).
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

ETK shows a U/J for a 1990 535iA, not a guibo. I know the EKT isn't perfect, but short of looking under the beastie, I'd have to go with Paul on this one.

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

I have a front guibo in mine, thats an automatic.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast