GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to have a 04/94 530 with an alusil block stock?

Default Is it possible to have a 04/94 530 with an alusil block stock?

As in, it came with one from the factory? mines way too dirty, too old, too everything to have been replaced after the fact, but i checked the casting number and its an alusil block.. should i rejoice to the fact that my car got a new block sometime ago and i really have tons less milage on my engine than the ODO says? or by 94 had they started putting alusil blocks in to fix the nik issue?

oh, and on a side note, i remmber jeff commmenting on the differences in the engines power wise, what was it?

Yes the Nikasil engines produce WAY more power than their Alusil counterpart, probably one if the reasons Nikasil isn't supposed to have the longevity.

I'm not sure if they mixed and matched the Alu/Nik engines or if they all came with Nik factory. I know that at first they were replacing the Niks with Niks cause they werent sure why the damage was happening but after the replacement Niks started coming back they cast new Alisil blocks and used them as replacements.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default All in 94 came from the factory nikasil, if you have an alusil then it

was replaced. There is no difference in the power output between the 2, same either way.

Quote Originally Posted by infinity5
    As in, it came with one from the factory? mines way too dirty, too old, too everything to have been replaced after the fact, but i checked the casting number and its an alusil block.. should i rejoice to the fact that my car got a new block sometime ago and i really have tons less milage on my engine than the ODO says? or by 94 had they started putting alusil blocks in to fix the nik issue?

oh, and on a side note, i remmber jeff commmenting on the differences in the engines power wise, what was it?

hmm, great news bill! thank you guess that means the POs neglect couldn't have caused to much damage!

Is there anyway BMWNA would know when my car had its block swapped? neither of the two PO's have any paperwork even eluding to engine replacement. might BMW have built a database of faliures and such?

you might not ever be able to find a paper trail on the replacement, as long as you have Alusil it was replaced at one time or another from what Bill says.

Bill was 94 the only year regarding Nikasil being the only block?

(C'mon we all know about them power differences )
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

ok, I "know" where the number is suppose to be stamped on the engine block..... but I swear I've looked before... any pointers to finding the number....
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

its *directly* above the coolant drain plug under cylinder 3. its barely visible, and i think a wire is partially in the way. even in the sun witht eh hood open you'll need a flash light. i left the car on the ground, stuck my head under the fog light, and looked that direction till i saw the drain plug.

damn couldn't they just have stamped the front of it?

Default Yes, bmw will have the information and you should be able to request it with no

problems. They do have a database of failures but everything i've heard says that they won't release actual statistics on how many failed.

hmm, great news bill! thank you guess that means the POs neglect couldn't have caused to much damage!

Is there anyway BMWNA would know when my car had its block swapped? neither of the two PO's have any paperwork even eluding to engine replacement. might BMW have built a database of faliures and such?

Default 93,94,95 were all nikasil only and if they have alusil then it was replaced

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    you might not ever be able to find a paper trail on the replacement, as long as you have Alusil it was replaced at one time or another from what Bill says.

Bill was 94 the only year regarding Nikasil being the only block?

(C'mon we all know about them power differences )

its *directly* above the coolant drain plug under cylinder 3. its barely visible, and i think a wire is partially in the way. even in the sun witht eh hood open you'll need a flash light. i left the car on the ground, stuck my head under the fog light, and looked that direction till i saw the drain plug.

damn couldn't they just have stamped the front of it?
    did you have to drop either of the splash guards??
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast