GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Jon K what did you wind up using to fix your door cards?

Default Jon K what did you wind up using to fix your door cards?

There were a couple different suggestions and more than one person voted for gorilla glue so i was curious as to what you went with. Also what adhesive did you use for the wood trim covering? I have a blk/blk car and i can't decide if i want to go w/ black or with the grey color they used on the headliner and pillars.... decisions decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Jason
    There were a couple different suggestions and more than one person voted for gorilla glue so i was curious as to what you went with. Also what adhesive did you use for the wood trim covering? I have a blk/blk car and i can't decide if i want to go w/ black or with the grey color they used on the headliner and pillars.... decisions decisions

I am going to use Gorilla Glue. As for the alcantara trim covering, i used 3m Super77 spray adhesive. Caution with this stuff:

1) the fumes are horrible, the spray itself is odorless but the initial fumes are bad
    2) be careful. Most people think of a spray adhesive as a watery material that gets tacky as it dries. NOT THE CASE. This stuff will hold you to the ceiling from about 10 secs of it coming out of the can. This translates to: DO NOT GET IT ON OBJECTS WHERE YOU DO NOT WANT IT. Clean up requires acetone... and acetone on leather/alcantara/plastic/etc = bad.
    3) its not easy to work with, you have about 2 minutes before the adhesive starts to get hard. 15 mins and its done drying basically. So, for fabric work, especially the tight bends that the wood trim requires for folds, this stuff is tricky.

Good luck! I was taking requests for trim wraps in the event that you are interested. Thanks.

Default Thanks Jon, couple more questions though

Are you going to use the Gorilla glue to attach the fabric to the door card and for the door card to the door as well? will you be making new cards and if so, what will you use? I would like to try it myself, but I may have to take you up on the trim wraps cause i could wreak some havoc inadvertently.
    whats the going rate?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    I am going to use Gorilla Glue. As for the alcantara trim covering, i used 3m Super77 spray adhesive. Caution with this stuff:

1) the fumes are horrible, the spray itself is odorless but the initial fumes are bad
    2) be careful. Most people think of a spray adhesive as a watery material that gets tacky as it dries. NOT THE CASE. This stuff will hold you to the ceiling from about 10 secs of it coming out of the can. This translates to: DO NOT GET IT ON OBJECTS WHERE YOU DO NOT WANT IT. Clean up requires acetone... and acetone on leather/alcantara/plastic/etc = bad.
    3) its not easy to work with, you have about 2 minutes before the adhesive starts to get hard. 15 mins and its done drying basically. So, for fabric work, especially the tight bends that the wood trim requires for folds, this stuff is tricky.

Good luck! I was taking requests for trim wraps in the event that you are interested. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason
    Are you going to use the Gorilla glue to attach the fabric to the door card and for the door card to the door as well? will you be making new cards and if so, what will you use? I would like to try it myself, but I may have to take you up on the trim wraps cause i could wreak some havoc inadvertently.
    whats the going rate?
    I am not going to alcantara the door panels, too much black. But no I would just gorilla glue the door card to the vinyl door panel. As for the wrapping, its about $75 in materials for full trim wrapping including center shifter panel. It would take me about 3 hrs assuming no mess ups. Make an offer.