GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on 92, 525i last summer!!!

Default Update on 92, 525i last summer!!!

Hello guys....I am sure many of you will not remember me....but for the few that do, I wanted to update you on my 525i. I am the gal that bought the car that had been sitting for 6 mos, with the trans-code lighting up....car would not run, only turn over....tried everything I could think of and came to the board for advice.....well, tried all of your suggestions too....up until a member recommended Harrison Motor Sports in Atlanta.....well, much to the pain in my pocketbook, (unemployed) during all of this mess, I took her over there while I relocated to Nashville.....they worked on her for a while, recommending a new ECU, injectors and two time gas and oil change......at a cost of 600 bucks...!!! yeowwwwwwww!!!

But, I picked her up last weekend and risked driving her home to Nashville......she made it fine and is sitting nicely in my drive way...
    I am so thrilled......she sat for a long time in my atlanta drive way with people wanting to buy her......but I just could not do it.....I had to get her running and my gut said it was NOT the transmission....and low and behold it was NOT the tranny.

Ok....so thank everyone that suggested things to try, and especially to my good friend Ramon.....he not only helps with my bmw....he helps with my career change and listens to me complain......He is a good friend......

Ok on to my new issue......I need a code to make my radio run....please don't tell me to take it to the dealer......I have noooooo money...haha.....nope still have not gotten a job! LOL, Hey maybe I could go sell BMW's for a living....I sure as heck know more than a typical sales person....ha ha ha...

Thanks everyone....and if anyone can tell me what to try to get my radio to work.....for free please.....Its a 92 525, manuf date is early 92.

See ya!

Sometimes it's written in the car's manual or on a slip of paper in the tool kit or glove box. Should be a 4-digit code, IIRC.

If it's not there, you should be able to get the code (for free) from the dealer if you bring in the VIN and/or the ID number on the back of the stereo. You might call the dealer first and see if the VIN alone is sufficient to save you the work of pulling the radio.

If you do have to pull it, all you need is a tiny little allen wrench to loosen the catches on the sides of the radio. A Bentley manual (if you have one) would probably have a picture, or someone else here might have one to post.

Glad to hear you kept the car, and that it's treating you well.

Best of luck,

Robin
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im
    Sometimes it's written in the car's manual or on a slip of paper in the tool kit or glove box. Should be a 4-digit code, IIRC.

If it's not there, you should be able to get the code (for free) from the dealer if you bring in the VIN and/or the ID number on the back of the stereo. You might call the dealer first and see if the VIN alone is sufficient to save you the work of pulling the radio.

If you do have to pull it, all you need is a tiny little allen wrench to loosen the catches on the sides of the radio. A Bentley manual (if you have one) would probably have a picture, or someone else here might have one to post.

Glad to hear you kept the car, and that it's treating you well.

Best of luck,

Robin

Well, board member recommeded Rassmusen BMW in Oregon, Yes, I called from Nashville......member said if I had the VIN. well that did not work....and of course he told me to bring it in to remove the radio for the serial number......darn it......I refuse to be defeated.....I will try something else....or someone more interested in me and not making money....LOL

Pulling it out is easy if you have a tiny little allen wrench. I don't recall the size, but I think someone was posting about it recently. Try this:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10101

Looks like a 2mm allen might work... You might have to buy the tool from the store if you don't have any tools or neighbors with tools, but it will be under $10 for sure.

Maybe you can drive into the nearest BMW dealership and tell them you're applying for a job as a salesperson, and maybe you could go talk to the mechanics, and maybe just maybe they would let you use their 5-sided stereo removal tool?

HTH,
    - Robin
    Last edited by Robin-535im; 04-20-2005 at 06:31 PM.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

hey there...goood to hear its werking....

my 92 525i always had the 5 digit code written in black sharpie marker in the toolkit. i always thought that perhaps my toolkit was from a junkyard...until i put two and two together and realised that the "salvage yard " looking number was, logically the code to my radio.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    hey there...goood to hear its werking....

my 92 525i always had the 5 digit code written in black sharpie marker in the toolkit. i always thought that perhaps my toolkit was from a junkyard...until i put two and two together and realised that the "salvage yard " looking number was, logically the code to my radio.

Ryan, Nice to hear from you.....I just got off the phone with Bmw in Dallas, as that is where I thought car was bought before I got it.......man the guy in service was about rude....you would of thought I was a damn convict.....like I want a dang 92 bmw if I am going to steal a car......shoot I would gofor a 2005 if I was the kind of person he implied I was.....If I lived in Dallas, I sure as heck would not use their dealership to service my car.......

ANyway....still no code....

Sounds like a good plan. Mine came out with the 2mm hex.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im
    Pulling it out is easy if you have a tiny little allen wrench. I don't recall the size, but I think someone was posting about it recently. Try this:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10101

Looks like a 2mm allen might work... You might have to buy the tool from the store if you don't have any tools or neighbors with tools, but it will be under $10 for sure.

Maybe you can drive into the nearest BMW dealership and tell them you're applying for a job as a salesperson, and maybe you could go talk to the mechanics, and maybe just maybe they would let you use their 5-sided stereo removal tool?

HTH,
    - Robin
    Ha ha ha...robin, after talking with the hateful guy in Dallas BMW.,.....I don't want to be in that line of work.....

I don't like when people recommend using a hex key for removing the radio without mentioning that doing so if you aren't careful can strip the screw head. Yes, I know many people do it this way. The screw heads take a special torx type bit (that you can get at most hardware stores in a small kit). Right tool for the right job. I'm not trying to start anything with anyone here, I just think its important to know this before going in.

glad to hear that somebody warned you about the allen stripping it.....they wanted me to physically bring the radio into the dealership, they werent jerks about it. however, after telling them that the harness would break off if i took it off, they gave me the code using the serial number on the back of the radio.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast