GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: '90 535M - funny noise

Default '90 535M - funny noise

Hi Gang,

While the M5 is in bits for some overdue maintenance I've been driving the '90 535M I sold to my dad - 240,000kms.

Today on my commute I noticed a strange noise seeming to come from the engine as I braked firmly to a stop with the clutch depressed (last ~10km/h, not coasting from +80k...). The sound is like a groan from a bad bearing which changed pitch with some revs. Once I accelerated from the traffic light the noise disappeared. I can re-create the sound now at will.

What do you suppose it could be? I'm thinking it may be end play in one of the engine driven accessories (WP, alt, PS, AC) or maybe the fan clutch. Dad has been mentioning this noise but this is the first time I've been able to hear it myself.

TIA,

Anthony

PS: I'd forgotten what a torque monster the 535 is compared to the M5 - quiet too. The M5 really sings at high revs and while it does have more torque at peak than the 535 it just doesn't pull the same around town unless you flog it a bit. Not that I mind flogging it... More than a bit actually...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
    PS: I'd forgotten what a torque monster the 535 is compared to the M5 - quiet too. The M5 really sings at high revs and while it does have more torque at peak than the 535 it just doesn't pull the same around town unless you flog it a bit. Not that I mind flogging it... More than a bit actually...
    Don't have any advice on the engine noise... but those of us who drive 535's and pine for an ///M are all heartened to hear your torque comment.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

sounds kinda pointing to the clutch throwout bearing.

just a guess
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    sounds kinda pointing to the clutch throwout bearing.

just a guess
    Thanks for the guess but I think I put it in neutral and let out the clutch with the noise still there. It seems to be caused by braking g-forces moving a part forward. I'll keep trying variables.

Tks,
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im
    Don't have any advice on the engine noise... but those of us who drive 535's and pine for an ///M are all heartened to hear your torque comment.
    I hear ya! aside from the way the engine pulls though, the biggest difference between the two is in ride/handling. The 535 has good OE Boge shox and 15" tires and it feels very floaty, heavy and vague (steering response) by comparison. The M5's handling is so different it feels like the car weighs 5-600 pounds less. It rides lower, stiffer and has a much quicker steering ratio.

I had been well on the way to changing the 535's suspension and many other things back in 2000 when the ex, after hearing the litany of $$$ and parts needed to do it said: "why don't you just buy an M5 if that's how much the upgrades will cost?" Bless her.

Cheers,
    Anthony

Worn motor mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
    I hear ya! aside from the way the engine pulls though, the biggest difference between the two is in ride/handling. The 535 has good OE Boge shox and 15" tires and it feels very floaty, heavy and vague (steering response) by comparison. The M5's handling is so different it feels like the car weighs 5-600 pounds less. It rides lower, stiffer and has a much quicker steering ratio.
    Interesting. I test drove a white 91 M5 with 70k miles a year ago, and it seemed floaty and heavy compared to my 535 with 15's, bilstein HD's and RD springs. The ///M was all original and probably had a worn-out everything in the suspension. The new 535 with 17's, Koni's, H&R and Dinan sways is really tight and feels much lighter than the old 535, just goes to show how much the suspension matters.

I've had a lot of fun tinkering with the suspension setups. It's neat to see how different the same car can be with a few different parts.

Hard to believe your wife's reaction to the situation... now where exactly did you two meet, and does she have a sister?
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im

Hard to believe your wife's reaction to the situation... now where exactly did you two meet, and does she have a sister?

Ex... No sister, just a no-good brother.

You'd be welcome to her. You know the saying: no matter how good she looks to you right now, somewhere, another man is sick of her $hit.

Cheers,
    Anthony

Default Process of elimination

Today when the noise happened, I tried AC on and off, no change. Adding load to the alternator, no change. Clutch in or out, no change.

Turned the steering wheel - big change in the noise, maybe something in the pump. My first thought was low fluid (sloshing away from pump pickup during hard braking) but the res is quite full. Nothing seems loose at the pump. I'm going to try flushing the PS fluid. Is there a filter in this one?

Anthony