GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: read your oxygene sensor-diagnosis

Default read your oxygene sensor-diagnosis

I think I am gonna to replace my oxy sensors (2) on my car after 120K Km.
    Have read this article on the page of oxygensensors.com under FAQ
    https://www.oxygensensors.com/faq.php?

I have passed the emission test 6 months ago, but I guess I can reduce the fuel consumption and also even the smoothness of running much more.

How often should I change them?
    Your vehicle manufacturer recommends a specific mileage at which your oxygen sensor(s) should be changed. However, contaminants in gas and certain atmospheric conditions can drastically shorten the life of any oxygen sensor, therefore they should be checked with every periodic maintenance and changed if necessary. Click here for a visual reference of oxygen sensor problems as well as diagnostic procedures.

Why should I change my oxygen sensors?
    A new oxygen sensor can improve driveability and lengthen engine life. Ultimately, you achieve a smoother running engine that is more fuel efficient. Feedback from the oxygen sensor provides closed-loop control of the injected quantity of fuel for optimum air-fuel mixture...enabling virtually complete combustion to take place. By providing closed-loop control of the mixture, it becomes possible to use three-way catalytic converters to achieve the maximum reduction in exhaust gas emissions.

Here in Japan they cost more than double the price in US.
    Last edited by shogun; 11-26-2008 at 05:55 AM.

I'm no expert on O2 sensors, but there's a lot of opinion out there that in a properly-functioning engine/exhaust system, they can and do last the life of the car. The basic technology is extremely rugged as long as they don't suffer the external effects that your reference here mentions. Uncontaminated, the stories go, the sensor doesn't degrade, it either works or it doesn't.

I can see plenty of reasons for the 50,000 mile change recommendation: build dealer service business, sell more O2 sensors, enhance the driver experience in cases where they have degraded due to failure or neglect of something in the engine, and so on. There's little motivation for car manufacturers to do otherwise. So the cynic in me is going to postpone indefinitely the replacement of the O2 sensor in my 115000mile E34.

One additional datapoint: I just replaced the sensor in my wife's 152000 mile 325iX. I have extensive data on this car's performance and so far it has made NO difference in power, fuel consumption, or driveability. IOW, there was nothing at all wrong with the original sensor. Of course, this engine is in excellent condition with like-new compression, no leakage, and no oil consumption.

mine have, according to the incomplete maintenance hystory NEVER been replaced...I thought about it once but then read someone (Bill R?) say that the new ones are only lasting about 20k so I'll skip this for a while.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

You' ll now when it' s broken. Usually when they go, the idle goes up and down, the exhuast smell gets really discusting . I had the same problem on my 92 coupe. The worst about it breaking down was that the fuel consumption went ballistic.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    I think I am gonna to replace my oxy sensors (2) on my car after 120K Km.
    Have read this article on the page of oxygensensors.com

I have passed the emission test 6 months ago, but I guess I can reduce the fuel consumption and also even the smoothness of running much more.

How often should I change them?
    Your vehicle manufacturer recommends a specific mileage at which your oxygen sensor(s) should be changed. However, contaminants in gas and certain atmospheric conditions can drastically shorten the life of any oxygen sensor, therefore they should be checked with every periodic maintenance and changed if necessary. Click here for a visual reference of oxygen sensor problems as well as diagnostic procedures.

Why should I change my oxygen sensors?
    A new oxygen sensor can improve driveability and lengthen engine life. Ultimately, you achieve a smoother running engine that is more fuel efficient. Feedback from the oxygen sensor provides closed-loop control of the injected quantity of fuel for optimum air-fuel mixture...enabling virtually complete combustion to take place. By providing closed-loop control of the mixture, it becomes possible to use three-way catalytic converters to achieve the maximum reduction in exhaust gas emissions.

Here in Japan they cost more than double the price in US.

Anyone has experience with the Walker? They are cheaper than the Bosch.
    Do not want to buy a universal one, prefer the one with the right plug

click to the offer
    Hi
    Our 525 displays Check engine -- checking the error check codes we get a display 1221 -- and it continues to repeat the same code without stopping. We would like to reset the code to validate that the Oxy sensor is really the fault. ANy suggestions?

just about any engine related problem can trip the oxy sensor code. vacume leaks, bad plugs etc. Make sure everything is good before you replace the O2 sensor just to have the same fault appear.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Oxy sensor code

Thanks for the suggestions. The question is how to reset the Check Code, since my display cannot be reset, using the suggested proceedure of holding the gas pedal down for 10 sec. after the last error code display. My problem may be that the same error code (1221) keeps on repeating over and over again.

Default Check code for Oxy sensor

Oxy sensor check code
    Thanks for the suggestions. The question is how to reset the Check Code, since my display cannot be reset, using the suggested proceedure of holding the gas pedal down for 10 sec. after the last error code display. My problem may be that the same error code (1221) keeps on repeating over and over again
    Last edited by ivan; 04-19-2005 at 04:22 PM.

Default Symptoms

I have gone through a handful of sensors of the years and have found that a few symptoms begin to show as a sensor fails.

Hesitation and sputtering when the motor is cold on acceleration, but will disappear once warmed up. The sensor is only able to read when it is hot, so it sends false readings when cold. (this is especially noticeable with O2 sensor with Pre-heaters)

Rising and falling RPM under a load. Driving up a grade or gentle hill you will notice that that RPM appears to be rising & falling @ 200 RPM. The sensor is failing to send consistent readings.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Disconnect battery for 30 minutes.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by ivan
    Oxy sensor check code[/SIZE]
    COLOR=Green]Thanks for the suggestions. The question is how to reset the Check Code, since my display cannot be reset, using the suggested proceedure of holding the gas pedal down for 10 sec. after the last error code display. My problem may be that the same error code (1221) keeps on repeating over and over again[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast