GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Where to start diagnosing my smoke

Default Where to start diagnosing my smoke

I've starting to notice a cloud of blue smoke behind my car when i accelerate. The problem seems to be much worse when the engine is cold, but it'll happen hot if it punch it hard enough.

I've got an alusil block and new plugs, where should i start? PCV plate? valve guides? or.. somehting valve-seal related? i don't know anything about anything when it comes to the valvetrain.

This is not exhaust-condensation. My engine is currently burning about 1.5-2QTs per change (as measured by the service indicator), which doesn't seem that bad to me, but i don't know.

As a side, for you guys that have done it a bit, is removing the intake mannifold that hard? i thought i might do it just to check everyhting out, maybe replace the profile gaskets ahead of time, etc. just for fun, you know. see how nasty my valves are. clean the engine valley area out and stuff, then put it all back together the same afternoon.

I know my intakes been bad for a couple years and will do the intake/pcv/valley gasket deal this summer.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Went through this a while back...

Quote Originally Posted by infinity5
    I've starting to notice a cloud of blue smoke behind my car when i accelerate. The problem seems to be much worse when the engine is cold, but it'll happen hot if it punch it hard enough.

I've got an alusil block and new plugs, where should i start? PCV plate? valve guides? or.. somehting valve-seal related? i don't know anything about anything when it comes to the valvetrain.

This is not exhaust-condensation. My engine is currently burning about 1.5-2QTs per change (as measured by the service indicator), which doesn't seem that bad to me, but i don't know.

As a side, for you guys that have done it a bit, is removing the intake mannifold that hard? i thought i might do it just to check everyhting out, maybe replace the profile gaskets ahead of time, etc. just for fun, you know. see how nasty my valves are. clean the engine valley area out and stuff, then put it all back together the same afternoon.
    My M50 would blow smoke under vacuum and a bit under hard acceleration (not cold on start-up), so I did the compression test and one cylinder failed the wet test. Just for fun, and to further rule out top end, valve seal, guide wear, I pulled the intake and didn't see a significant amount of oil accumulated on the top of the valves. I did the compression test again to verify the bad cylinder and caulked it up to a busted ring or general bottom end wear (car has more than 300k on it). Ive just received my 'new' rebuild short block from Toronto and once my garage is built, I'll have a fun winter project.
    So i guess my advice is, if its not PCV etc. related, do the compression and or maybe a leak down. Someone hee can help you with that.

Good Luck,

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *