GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Special tool grips timing chain for valve adj??

Change plugs anyway when I adj valves....sooo....
    I remove plugs.
    Take off radiator fan
    turn crank with 1/2 drive Rathet and socket on crank...get it right on the lobe...don't need to hit or miss by bumping with starter.

Hi Gene.

What I meant to communicate is that, with the remote starter, you can crank the engine long/fast enough to watch how the oil flows around the head. The spray bar can get clogged, and it's important to make sure that it's doing the job.

If by sticking shuttle valve your mechanic means the check valve in the filter canister, then it's a well documented problem (see bmwe34.net). However, I'm not sure how that would/could destroy the virtually bulletproof M30 bottom end. From what I recall, the M30 oil pump rarely needs replacement -- I think Bill R. mentions it as being an item to check.

Fritz's top end is nosier than a two year old with a tambourine. Brett Anderson says the valves are "a little loud" but nothing to be concerned about, and I'm not. Sounds like a sewing machine, and I'm sure people get nervous around it when the car's idling away at a red light. Oh well.

Best, whit

Default My cheapo pill bottle tool that i made a few years back uses

male pins 61 13 1 376 191 . From bmw they are .40 cents each. And i used a momentary spring loaded switch i had laying around , Its by far the easiest way for me to set the valves on bmw's, you just put the toe of each cam lobe 180 degrees away from the eccentric adjuster so that the eccentric is in the center of the cam lobe heel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene in NC
    What kind of pin/whatever do you use for plugging in to the "n" pin connector. I have a couple of remote starter switches. Used em for this application on 2002s.

Default Bill, I love this homemade switch...

and when you are done with it I'd put it in a time capsule to be dug out in 100 years. Assuming we are still around since it is projected that a comet with strike earth in 2012 according to Bible codes if you believe in that sort of thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    male pins 61 13 1 376 191 . From bmw they are .40 cents each. And i used a momentary spring loaded switch i had laying around , Its by far the easiest way for me to set the valves on bmw's, you just put the toe of each cam lobe 180 degrees away from the eccentric adjuster so that the eccentric is in the center of the cam lobe heel.

Ok, got the switch built and am ready to go. One problem. How to locate pin 11 and 14 on e28 535?

Reminds me of the little boy with the new red wagon and little girls with golden curls. "Hi, want a ride". "Yeth". "Otay. Dit in den. Gonna dimme tum." "No!" "Dit out den."

Third little girl says in response to the "dimme tum" inviitation, "Yeth"

To which the little boy responds, "Doddam. Dot it but donno what to do wif it."

I'm ready but just don't know where to insert it.

W.....T....F....

uhm...feeling okay over there, Gene?

I don't know the pinout on the e28 port, or even if there's a similar remote start capability. Do a search on RoadFly?

best, whit

So shoot me for using this forum for m30 support. Have two e34 and one e28 535. Forum contributors knowledgeable/supportive and format and content outstanding. You also have BillR. Roadfly had excllent detail on pin location for e28.

Note factory pins, important part on BillR remote starter tool. Have ordered a dozen. Two for me and rest for whoever at my cost of $1.20 per pair plus postage which should be about $0.60.

However, didn't use starter except for comp check (148 to 152 cold) on 150k+ m30. Used 1 1/4 (32mm) 15" long wrench (around $10 at ACE) to turn engine by fan nut (plugs out). Easy, fast and very precise. BillR tool next time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12