GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self leveling suspension Help!

Default Self leveling suspension Help!

Anyone familiar with the self leveling suspension on the E34? I have a 92 525it. Have looked at all the lines and see no leaks, got a visual on the accumulator and it appears to have no leaks and no leaking around the struts. What ususally goes wrong with this system and about how much is it to fix it? If anyone knows of a good shop in Hawaii, specifically Oahu... That would be good too.

They breaks down internally, so althought outside may look fine, but inside will be messed up. Like I said before, the internal diaphragm gives out, and can't control the pressure. how many miles is there, chances are it's the "bomb".

Rumor going around on the M5 boards was there they had found a hydroloics (sp?) shop that would rebuild the innnards for i BELIEVE it was $200ish for both sides. I'll dig around and see if I can't come up with the number of the shop that was doing it. Supposedly worked out great!

What is actually the problem with your system. There is no leak you say. So what is bothering you?
    If the socalled 'bombs" at the rear fail, the inner bladders inside the bomb is defective = the rear is very hard and bumpy.
    But that does not mean that anything leaks out to the ground.

You hit the nail on the head with the bombs (accumulators is presume). That is exactly how my car is riding. The car is riding low in the rear with almost no shock absorbtion. Felt to me like a comlete failure of normal shocks or struts. There are no hydro leaks and the power steering operates perfectly.

Default If the rear does not go down overnight

that is already a good sign. The regulating valve is working, no return to the front. And then only the 2 bombs can be defective.
    The whole system is nicely explained on my webiste under EDC Niveauregulierung = German for LAD. It is a copy of a service technician traning course material. In German language, but a lot of drawings explaining the whole system. There is also another link below that where there are instructions how to adjust the LAD, German and English and pics too.

The bombs are not that expensive. Here is a how to do

click

RadarJeremy: If you're interested, i'm parting out my M5 right now. I would let you have my 'bombs' for free. I'm not 100% sure they're still working at 100% but if you're interested let me know.

Man you guys are awesome. I am going to spring for new accumulators they really are not that expensive. Plus with the right sight I get free shipping to hawaii. I saved Shogun's how too site on my hard drive. That thing is exactly what I need to do the job, and the pictures are awesome. Thanks a bunch. Now, to find the time to do the job.....

Default Self leveling

I looked over Shogun's photos --- He shows how he filled the pentosin into the reservoir. I do not have a 5 series, but have a 635 -- my pentosin reservoir is in the trunk, under the spare tire, together with the pumps and controls. The brake system and the self leveling systems are NOT connected. I hope he did not put Pentosin into his brake system.
    Don

in the 5 series the system is ganged together with the power steering. Makes for some long hydro lines, but it seems relatively simple. Especially when compared to the oto melara gun I helped fix when I was stationed on a frigate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast