GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1991 535i - headrests

Default 1991 535i - headrests

I have pulled the passenger headrest out a few times, and now after putting it back in it does not catch and the headrest doesn't move up and down when the lever is depressed. Any ideas?

Much appreciated, in advance, Thanos

Pull the back seat cover and have a look at it. Is the motor actually moving/making noise? Perhaps it just needs the cable fix. Have a look at Don Gale's site:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/

best, whit

Default or you can do the "coat hanger" repair....

Here's a write-up that explains how to fix the front seat headrests by inserting a 1/4" piece of metal coat hanger into the headrest motor. It sounds weird...but it works.

Since this write up..I've discovered that you may be able to remove the whole headrest motor and the little shelf it sits on (which makes this job much easier) by releasing more of the leather (from its tongs) so that you can access the side of the seat frame. You will then see two screw that secure the little shelf the headrest motor is mounted to...undo these screws and pull the shelf and motor from off the side of the seat frame. This makes it easier to access and undo the screws underneath the motor that releases the headrest cable. you then insert the small piece of metal into the housing ... then replace the cable and remount to the seat frame.

Here's the link and write-up: http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e34/789813-1.html
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL