GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: does new rotors = new pads?

Default does new rotors = new pads?

I'm thinking about ordering new front rotors today from BMA (probably brembos, unless someone can convince me otherwise)

I put on a new set of pads in the fall, and I'm sure they still have lots of life in them, but I'm sure they've formed a comfort fit with the old rotors...

I don't want to put the old pads to new rotors and cause the new rotors to get grooved early on...

So do I spend the extra 50-60 bucks and just buy new pads too?? I'd rather spend as little as possible, and don't want to take the old pads off before their used up.
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

New rotors equalls to new pads. The old pads will be worn in already to the old rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJCaputo
    I'm thinking about ordering new front rotors today from BMA (probably brembos, unless someone can convince me otherwise)

I put on a new set of pads in the fall, and I'm sure they still have lots of life in them, but I'm sure they've formed a comfort fit with the old rotors...

I don't want to put the old pads to new rotors and cause the new rotors to get grooved early on...

So do I spend the extra 50-60 bucks and just buy new pads too?? I'd rather spend as little as possible, and don't want to take the old pads off before their used up.
    BMP Designs recommends breaking in new rotors with the to used on them (i.e. use what ya got) and it will enhance the life of the rotor. I've never had a new rotor-new pad combo on any car I've ever owned.
    -ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

I've never matched them and never had any problems. If the current rotors are really scored, it might take a while for the brake pads to bed to the new rotors. Also, if you were running a very hard pad (ie track pad) and they were scored, might not want to reuse them on new rotors.

I think the official party line is to use new pads with new rotors...
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

new pads with new rotors, new pads with old rotors not old pads with new rotors. remember to read up on the proper bedding of them.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default From Stoptech.com

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    new pads with new rotors, new pads with old rotors not old pads with new rotors. remember to read up on the proper bedding of them.
    "If possible, new discs should be bedded with used pads of the same compound that will be used going forward."

Full Article:
    http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm

-ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

Quote Originally Posted by acyre
    "If possible, new discs should be bedded with used pads of the same compound that will be used going forward."

Full Article:
    http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm

-ashley
    that's a first for me. I was always told to put new pads in when getting new rotors.

I'm actually looking forward to bedding the new rotors!!! I bedded the pads/rotors on my fiance's Jetta last weekend.... after about the 4-5th fast 60-10 stop, I check the rearview mirror and there was a trail of smoke right behind the car!

it was actually kind of fun! I mean when do you really get to do something like that to your car on purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Rory535i
    that's a first for me. I was always told to put new pads in when getting new rotors.
    this is almost becoming "blue antifreeze or not"

Default If your pads are not too "groovy," then

just have the rotors turned by a machine shop and you'd be good to go. They check if it can be turned or not. I went through this exercise on my other car but purchased a new set of raybestos pads. I paid $7.50/rotor plus disposal fee. Getting rid of ridges in the rotors makes a huge difference when braking--feels very smooth...no pulsating feel. Since the rotors had been machined, I decided to go with the raybestos pads cuz they are gentler on the rotors as per Bill R's brake post from a while back. I didn't want to get a pad that'd be harsh on the thinner/machined rotors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast