GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a TIS covering the 4hp22 issue ...

Default Is there a TIS covering the 4hp22 issue ...

on revving up in P or N? If so, could someone e-mail me a copy?

Javier

simply put, don't do it, i always get the back of the car off the ground and have it in neutral, that way if it's bypassing the back wheels can turn when i am revving it
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default I copied the words of Kirt Koeller

The ONLY thing rotating when reving in neutral and park is the converter turbine and the input shaft which has the foward clutch splined to it BUT the forwrd clutch is NOT "on" now the problem is that ZF was using steel rings on the input shaft for forward charge oil to be directed from the valve body to the forward clutch through the input shaft and what is happening is that the converter charge oil is under high pressure and it leakes past the steel rings and partially applying the foward clutch there-by fring it prematurlly. The fix is to switch the steel rings with Teflon rings they seal better and keep the converter charge oil from entering into the forward clutch. Hope this clears things up for you.
    http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylo...oxZF-HP22.html

Default Winfred, Shogun, thanks for the info, would like ..

a copy of the TIS though. The guy that is going to fix my trany (next 25 appointment, seemed a god shop, only Porches, Mercedes and BMW's, highly recommended) told me last Friday that he never heard about it!!! I'm not sure if he was fooling me, or meant it. Would like to leave the car with a copy of the TIS, as would like a fix to that issue too if necessary. My car has not reveal this damage, and I was used to go N in long stops, quit when learnt about the bug, may be it is out of the faulty production range, TIS may clarify it.

Javier

Default heres a rundown on the a-clutch repair i did a while back

all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Remember this post since it appeared in the forum ..

probably the best I've ever seen. Even though I'm still afraid of messing with the trany.

I do not believe my car has a problem with the A clutch. It goes forward beautifully, smooth changes, no slipping. The problem is that Reverse do not engage, and it has no engine braking on 1st gear.

Guess it has the D brake fried. May be also some issues in the valve body, but when I changed the oil as an attempt to fix it, the old oil was opaque and dark, and there were black dust residues in the pan, so guess the discs are worn. May be something got stuck and D brake was engaged (even partially) out of time.

My concern is that if my box has a potential problem with the A clutch issue, this will be the time to also incorporate the correction, and the shop guy did not give me the impression to know about it.

Javier

since u got through the tranny .. I had something to ask about ... actualy 2 things ... the 1st is when rev the engine on N or P I feel that the car is going forward is that normal? the second thing is ... the vavle body ... when it's causing one of the speeds to hang mostly the 1st and second, is there some way to fix this without going through replacement of the whole vavle body? I had to look for 4 second hand ones and all of them were malfunctioning, the new one costs like 40% of the car price here. whats the best thing in that case?

Grave the valve body issue only concerns the 540 transmissions, 5hp22 (I think thats what it is) and you can do the upgrade to the old valve body. I know its the seperator plate and check balls, and I believe some of the valve springs too.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

well Jeff all I know about the vavle body is that it allows oil pressure to pass through those lines to change the tranny ... but more details to make me able to pin point the faulty valve or spring! I have no idea yet and I will be very happy and gratefull to have some document about this. that goes also for the 525i newer trans. last week I had a hard time fixing my sisters 525i tranny ... untill now the second gear is still gamming untill the gear is warm.

Default Anyone with access to TIS?

Looking for these two:
    2401913196 - June 1991 - Transmission Failure During Exhaust Emission Testing
    2402903098 - Aug 1990 - New Primary Oil Pump Housing with 4HP22 or 4HP24

Javier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast