GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recurring 02 Sensor Problem

Default Recurring 02 Sensor Problem

I have a '95 530i which began having problems last summer. It was running really rough, and turned out only to be the O2 sensors, not a big deal. Last December however, it started doing the same thing again. It was running with no power in limp mode, and the check engine light was on (Lambda Control #2). Took it in and had the O2 sensors replaced again, as well as the ECU temp sensor and plugs. I'm not sure what the most likely suspect is to killing the O2 sensors so quickly, possibly a plugged cat?

When I picked it up the mechanic said it was still under powered, possibly a cylinder misfiring. Since then the check engine light has been on with the same Lambda Control message, and I often notice it jerking while I'm accelerating, and a moderately rough idle at times. Any ideas where I should begin?

seems to me u have a MAF problem ... did u plug it to a diagnostic tool? if you had ( Mixture control ) then I would probably say its the MAF. I didn't have the V8 engine before ... so lets see what others would say about this too.

I don't have any diagnostic tools to test the MAF sensor, is there any other way to tell if it's bad?

Do you think this would cause a 1213 (lambda control) code, instead of a 1215 (Air Mass/Volume Sensor)?

intake leaks, intake gaskets are notorius on V8s. need to do my own too.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

well I'm quite sure of this ... I don't know the codes well ... but I'm trying to tell you from my experience with my car as I had something very similar ... but since ur engine is differant V8... I cant tell. as mentioned below ... air leaks would cause hell of mess ... as I didn't know that my AFM was done before fixing the air leaks form the intake.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    intake leaks, intake gaskets are notorius on V8s. need to do my own too.
    Well, the car's back in limp mode AGAIN... I'm taking it in tomorrow, but I have a funny feeling it will be the O2 sensors again, not even 5 months old. Could the intake problems you mentioned actually cause the sensors to go bad this quickly?

The intake leaks can cause the codes to come up, which it did with my car. I cleared the codes with the battery disconnect and then restarted it so the computer would think the leaks are a normal condition and it has ran good since. Never changed my sensors and they have a few miles on them.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Not sure how fast a sensor can be killed from exposure to rich mixture or coolant.

This post had a little flyer about O2 sensors being burnt out.

One thing to consider if you have replaced the O2 sensors, is theres a slight chance the O2 Sensor relay could be bad. It's in the Ebox on the pass side. Though figurin out if its bad or not isnt easy, for $12 might as well replace it.

clear your codes and see if it goes away
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast