GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: grrrrrrrowling/buzzing sound ....

Default .

Last edited by RockJock; 08-31-2009 at 08:53 AM.

Hmmm...the Getrag tranny's have never been known for really quiet bearings. Sounds like tranny bearings to me. What sort of tranny fluid are you running?

Did the noise start "overnight" or ??
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Default Interesting...

Sounds to me like someone needs to take a close look at the driveline to make some educated guesses.

Does the shifter arm move fore/aft in a slight rhythmic motion tied to the road speed of the car? Is it more/less perceptable as the load changes on the driveline? If yes, you have some wear in the shifter forks..typical with cars this age and mileage.

Possible suspects are:

- mainshaft / output shaft bearings in the tranny: they make noise as the mainshaft rotates, neutral with clutch out, 1st gear, 2nd gear, etc. Unless they are howling, it can go like this forever. Put in Redline MTL or even MT-90 (thicker) to help quite the bearings. Won't shift quite as smooth..

- stuff to check that might be contributing include:

- tranny mounts; easy check on a lift
    - guibo for tears and bolt torque; easy check on a lift
    - center bearing in driveline; have to drop exhaust and heat shield to inspect
    - aft CV joint in driveline; do in you check the center bearing; very unlikely.

My previous tranny had some growl in the mainshaft bearings as well as wear in the shifter forks. Had a chance to get a lower mileage tranny and it's much better. Old one worked just fine; just had an opportunity to nab a young one for a great deal.

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Hi Guys!
    My front mainshaft bearings rumble a little bit in neutral & foot off clutch. It's not loud, but noticible. To be honest it does not worry me in the slightest as otherwise the tranny is excellent (1989 vintage at 189000+ miles). Probably due a fluid change but it's tough as old boots otherwise!

Cheers,

Shaun

Thanks for the comments guys ....

Jeff - i looked for a fore/aft motion tied to road speed and i'm not detecting anything perceptible here..

i'll give the redline a shot as well as go through your list of "stuff to check". i'll give the thread alive with any findings ...thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    Sounds to me like someone needs to take a close look at the driveline to make some educated guesses.

Does the shifter arm move fore/aft in a slight rhythmic motion tied to the road speed of the car? Is it more/less perceptable as the load changes on the driveline? If yes, you have some wear in the shifter forks..typical with cars this age and mileage.

Possible suspects are:

- mainshaft / output shaft bearings in the tranny: they make noise as the mainshaft rotates, neutral with clutch out, 1st gear, 2nd gear, etc. Unless they are howling, it can go like this forever. Put in Redline MTL or even MT-90 (thicker) to help quite the bearings. Won't shift quite as smooth..

- stuff to check that might be contributing include:

- tranny mounts; easy check on a lift
    - guibo for tears and bolt torque; easy check on a lift
    - center bearing in driveline; have to drop exhaust and heat shield to inspect
    - aft CV joint in driveline; do in you check the center bearing; very unlikely.

My previous tranny had some growl in the mainshaft bearings as well as wear in the shifter forks. Had a chance to get a lower mileage tranny and it's much better. Old one worked just fine; just had an opportunity to nab a young one for a great deal.

Jeff