GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: E39 540i late 1996

Default E39 540i late 1996

My panel has a lot of failed leds. Showing 83,000.

Obtained a used and supposedly functional one with 53,000.

Took 'new' one and asked BMW to fit it and adjust the mileage to mine. They were willing but said the best they could do would result in my odometer showing 83K+53K = 136K!

Quarry BMW who sold me it said the mileage could be adjusted to match mine. BMW say it can't.

Assuming BMW matched the 'new' one to my car and I installed it. What would be the mileage result of putting the old one back if I decided to sell the car. Would the mileage I'd accumulated show correctly on the old one? BMW didn't know the answer to this.

Also, what would be the effect of swapping the 'electronics' unit on the back from mine to the 'new' one and then fitting it?

I think I saw a fix for e38/e39 LED panels somewhere on the net. If someone else has the link, pls post it? I'd like to read it again myself....

best, whit

I had the whole cluter replaced in a 1998 540i as the idiot that sold me the car had destroyed the check engine light instead of replacing the o2 sensor. In any case I couldn't get the thing inspected. I bought a new cluster from bmw and they just adjusted it to my mileage with no problem at all....

Quote Originally Posted by meditek
    My panel has a lot of failed leds. Showing 83,000.

Obtained a used and supposedly functional one with 53,000.

Took 'new' one and asked BMW to fit it and adjust the mileage to mine. They were willing but said the best they could do would result in my odometer showing 83K+53K = 136K!

Quarry BMW who sold me it said the mileage could be adjusted to match mine. BMW say it can't.

Assuming BMW matched the 'new' one to my car and I installed it. What would be the mileage result of putting the old one back if I decided to sell the car. Would the mileage I'd accumulated show correctly on the old one? BMW didn't know the answer to this.

Also, what would be the effect of swapping the 'electronics' unit on the back from mine to the 'new' one and then fitting it?