GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Fuel Pressure Regulator DIY?

Default Fuel Pressure Regulator DIY?

Anyone have a DIY on this or can explain. Do I just unbolt the old one and hook up new one? Is this a DIY or should i take to shop. Any tips or hints i'm figuring it might get messy. Is there a lot of fuel suppose to spillout or something? I might take it to the shop if it is too messy or a lot of hassle. I'm thinking its pretty simple. How much labor should i be charged?

Default This is pretty much bolt off, bolt on

Just need to release the pressurized fuel in the line. Unfortunatly BMW does not have a schrader valve on the rail to easily release it. So gather up some rags, wear eye protection (gas in the eyes burns like a mother) and slowly relase them clamp on the line.

Un bolt the old regulator, replace the gasket/o ring and bolt up the new one.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Default pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob
    Just need to release the pressurized fuel in the line. Unfortunatly BMW does not have a schrader valve on the rail to easily release it. So gather up some rags, wear eye protection (gas in the eyes burns like a mother) and slowly relase them clamp on the line.

Un bolt the old regulator, replace the gasket/o ring and bolt up the new one.
    I heard something like removing fuel pump relay in E-box when car was on will remove some pressure similiar to when you change the fuel filter? So I should get some goggles and a small c-clamp. DO i clamp it on the hose after the FPR?
    part #14.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...32&hg=13&fg=15

Default I usally don't clamp

anything off for just the regulator, Its above the tank and not much fuel comes out. The pressure is on the rail side of the circuit # 10 & 11. # 14 is the return.

Good luck

Und nicht rauchen

anything off for just the regulator, Its above the tank and not much fuel comes out. The pressure is on the rail side of the circuit # 10 & 11. # 14 is the return.

Good luck

Und nicht rauchen
    ok so no need to clamp anything I guess i misread you. So all i need to do is get some rags and jsut remove the 2 bolts and change o-ring and slow unclamp #12 which connects the return line to the FPR. correct?

Thanks a lot. I was about to get the mechanic to do it. Prolly saved myself a few $$$.

Default Un do the clamp first at 10 or 11

This will relase the pressure. If you unbolt first, the pressure will be released at the rail/regulator junction. Not a big deal, then you could skip 10 or 11 all together. but if you are not expecting it..it could get messy. 14 is the return line not much gas should come from there.

It's an easy 10 min job. My fuel system's pretty healthy; in replacing the hoses around my FPR after letting the car sit over night, there was VERY little residual fuel or fuel pressure in the lines.

No need to take it to the mechstinkic.

best, whit

Default fuel filter?

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    It's an easy 10 min job. My fuel system's pretty healthy; in replacing the hoses around my FPR after letting the car sit over night, there was VERY little residual fuel or fuel pressure in the lines.

No need to take it to the mechstinkic.

best, whit
    What about the fuel filter. I was gonna replace this first then the FPR if that didn't solve the problem? Any tips to reduce the spillage? I've heard of clamping the hoses or removing the Fuel pump relay?

Default Fuel filter replacement can be messy

and I would recommend clamps for this job. Since it is almost level with the tank and fuel could start siphoning out.

I don't pull any relays. But I aways disconnect the battery to prevent anything hot from sparking.

...(gas in the eyes burns like a mother) ...
    I remember changing the fuel filter on my Jeep when I was living in an apartment (i.e., no garage). I thought to myself, "I'll just pull out the old one and put the new one in real quick like, and it'll be okay."

Few minutes later I was completely covered in gas, in my hair, eyes, mouth, you name it. It's amazing how much gas can leak out of a little 1/4" fuel line, even when you have your thumb over the opening.

"Learning Experience" and "Character Building" is what I call those types of things.

Back to your Q, get new fuel line material because if it's original it may crack and leak when you pull it off the old FPR. I did the FPR swap at work thinking it was so easy, then I couldn't get the old hose to stop leaking since I had to jerk it so hard to get it off the old FPR. Buddy at work gave me some extra fuel line from his "emergency camping preparedness kit." It can really freeze on there and get crusty if it's the original hose, and you'll be hard pressed to pull the old FPR off without cracking the hose. It's cheap to buy, but without it you can't drive very far!
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5