GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem trying to remove steering wheel

Default Problem trying to remove steering wheel

All the instructions say "remove the trim panel from the bottom of the steering column". Well, I'm running into trouble right off the bat. The pix of this operation show that the panel just falls off after you remove the two screws. Not mine. The back of it sticks well down the column, behind the bolster, and has these teeth on it that mesh with the upper trim panel. I've twisted and pulled on it and it's just not coming out. The bolster locks the back of the bottom panel into the back of the top panel. So now I have to remove the bolster but I can't find any instructions on how that's fastened in. There are two screws that hold the bottom in, but something invisible is holding in the left side, and the right side hooks in behind the center console trim.

Can *anyone* help me out with this? I really don't want to go yanking on things that are stuck without knowing the trick. And I'd like to shoot whoever cooked up that stupid lower trim panel.

This might seem silly but do you have the adjustable column? and is it adjusted in?

Quote Originally Posted by SRR2
    All the instructions say "remove the trim panel from the bottom of the steering column". Well, I'm running into trouble right off the bat. The pix of this operation show that the panel just falls off after you remove the two screws. Not mine. The back of it sticks well down the column, behind the bolster, and has these teeth on it that mesh with the upper trim panel. I've twisted and pulled on it and it's just not coming out. The bolster locks the back of the bottom panel into the back of the top panel. So now I have to remove the bolster but I can't find any instructions on how that's fastened in. There are two screws that hold the bottom in, but something invisible is holding in the left side, and the right side hooks in behind the center console trim.

Can *anyone* help me out with this? I really don't want to go yanking on things that are stuck without knowing the trick. And I'd like to shoot whoever cooked up that stupid lower trim panel.

Mine wasn't "EASY" to get off either. Just undo the two screws (i think there are only two) and work the snaps off, being careful.

No, not adjustable. It's a 12-88 build date early E34. It looks like they made some ease-of-assembly & maintenance improvements shortly afterward. Instead of two screws in the lower cover, there are three, and one is hidden behind the bolster. On this version you MUST remove the bolster. I finally got it off by removing trim panels one by one until I found all the screws. It's a royal pain for something as simple as replacing instrument lights.

Anyhoo, I finally got it off after much twisting and prying.

Hopefully I'll have some pix of the process to add to the existing knowledgebase.

No, not adjustable. It's a 12-88 build date early E34. It looks like they made some ease-of-assembly & maintenance improvements shortly afterward. Instead of two screws in the lower cover, there are three, and one is hidden behind the bolster. On this version you MUST remove the bolster. I finally got it off by removing trim panels one by one until I found all the screws. It's a royal pain for something as simple as replacing instrument lights.

Anyhoo, I finally got it off after much twisting and prying.

Hopefully I'll have some pix of the process to add to the existing knowledgebase.

I don't want to rain on the parade, but we managed to pull the instrument cluster numerous times with the steering wheel still connected.

I don't think it can be done unless you have a telescoping wheel. Plus, I'm not sure he's trying to remove the inst cluster (all that you have to do there is just pull the steering wheel, which doesn't require messing with the trim panels at all).

best, whit

Uh, yeah, on mine it does. See my previous post. This was very early E34 production and the lower cover is different from what y'all are used to. There's no way to get at the third screw with the bolster in place. And you have to remove the trim panels to get at the bolster screws. Basically I had to remove a lot of crap just to disconnect the airbag connector under the steering column.

I'm removing the cluster to replace lamps and capacitors. Unfortunately there are more electrolytic caps in this thing than I'd been aware of. They're all at least 17 years old and probably ought to be replaced.

Jon, there's no way I could have gotten this cluster out with the wheel in place. No frickin way. This cluster looks to be a bit deeper (thicker) than those you can wiggle out with the wheel dropped/extended, judging from what I can see in some of the pix people have posted.

I don't get it - help me to understand. After checking the ETK, it appears that all steering wheels on these cars are bolt on (one large ~ 21mm nut holds it to the steering shaft). As such, all you'd need to do is 1) remove the air bag (or pop the cap off if you don't have an airbag), 2) loosen the nut. No need to mess around with the trim panels around the column at all. Disconnect the airbag at the unit itself. And with the SRS, be sure to disconnect the battery

best, whit
    Last edited by Kalevera; 04-15-2005 at 04:40 PM.

the bentley says to unplug the airbag connector under the trim underneath the column if i remember right.. dont know if its really necessary with the batt disconnected, but i dont really like to mess around with explosives

Default My 89 535 has a production date of sept 88 and I had no

problems removing the lower steering wheel housing cover. I have not pulled the bottom panel on any of the last 10 that i have done either. Mostly 89 and 90's 525 and 535 with fixed wheels. I pull the cover just like i posted and then disconnect the airbag connector then pull the airbag and wheel. It is important that you disconnect the battery and disconnect the airbag connector before removing the airbag. It always been the same procedure basically as i wrote here

Uh, yeah, on mine it does. See my previous post. This was very early E34 production and the lower cover is different from what y'all are used to. There's no way to get at the third screw with the bolster in place. And you have to remove the trim panels to get at the bolster screws. Basically I had to remove a lot of crap just to disconnect the airbag connector under the steering column.

I'm removing the cluster to replace lamps and capacitors. Unfortunately there are more electrolytic caps in this thing than I'd been aware of. They're all at least 17 years old and probably ought to be replaced.

Jon, there's no way I could have gotten this cluster out with the wheel in place. No frickin way. This cluster looks to be a bit deeper (thicker) than those you can wiggle out with the wheel dropped/extended, judging from what I can see in some of the pix people have posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast