GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 95 525 - new thrust arms, shocks, tires - SWWWWWEEEET

Default 95 525 - new thrust arms, shocks, tires - SWWWWWEEEET

Well,

I finally have all parts working together in great harmony after completing thrust arm replacement (with 750 bushings) as well as new sway bar links (and shocks, tie rods, and tires 5 months ago). It is so amazing to drive this 10 year old car with such elegance and smoothness. Even though I am not a big automatic fan (stick for close to 30 years) I am awed by how smooth a ride this car gives to all occupants and how well it drives.

What I find ever more odd is that even MY WIFE noticed the improvement after driving it for 20 miles (Yes, I gave her permission). If only I can convince her that I need a 6 speed 535/540 as well.

PS - I had one thrust arm that had a failed dust boot which had about 1/32" of slop. The sway bar link dust boots were torn but the joints actually felt okay. The tie rod ends were actually okay but newer is better....

Scott
    1995 BMW 525i w/139K miles, EAT Chip - (Gone)
    07 525i 22K, 07 328xi (41K)
    1982 Mazda RX-7 w/147K miles (Back again!)

I know the feeling. Had that done 2 years ago in my 89 sedan. Tomorrow my 95 Touring is having new Upper Control arms and 750 bushing!. Can't wait for that.

The touring's ball-joint is busted on both side and a clunk loader on driver side than passenger side. Thanks goodness, the aluminum lower control arm balljoints are in great shape

Quote Originally Posted by emw525E34
    I know the feeling. Had that done 2 years ago in my 89 sedan. Tomorrow my 95 Touring is having new Upper Control arms and 750 bushing!. Can't wait for that.

The touring's ball-joint is busted on both side and a clunk loader on driver side than passenger side. Thanks goodness, the aluminum lower control arm balljoints are in great shape
    Good luck and hope you get rid of the clunk - what a difference it makes.
    Scott

Got it done. Man, the front-end is so solid. It feels Great!. Actually, I got new front rotors and pads while I am at it!. Stopping power now is awesome.

In the evening, I spent 3 hours modding a E46 4 spoke steering wheel to my stock tires wheel. Re-used my airbag, small diameter E46 wheel is nicer and almost brand new. My old airbag looks really tired in the vinyl covering (spray painting it next time!), great feel.

When for Fun Run yesterday to test the new things in the car. Such a sweet feeling. No noise except tire noise when my audio was off. Loviely. Just enjoyed driving the touring in quite a different way as my sedan. My sedan is loud and abnoxious (RD headers, custom intake, stainless custom muffler,...), touring is silent and stealthy (its a manual) except a growl near redline. ALmost like an X3 without the height but had more rear space.

Quote Originally Posted by emw525E34
    Got it done. Man, the front-end is so solid. It feels Great!. Actually, I got new front rotors and pads while I am at it!. Stopping power now is awesome.

In the evening, I spent 3 hours modding a E46 4 spoke steering wheel to my stock tires wheel. Re-used my airbag, small diameter E46 wheel is nicer and almost brand new. My old airbag looks really tired in the vinyl covering (spray painting it next time!), great feel.

When for Fun Run yesterday to test the new things in the car. Such a sweet feeling. No noise except tire noise when my audio was off. Loviely. Just enjoyed driving the touring in quite a different way as my sedan. My sedan is loud and abnoxious (RD headers, custom intake, stainless custom muffler,...), touring is silent and stealthy (its a manual) except a growl near redline. ALmost like an X3 without the height but had more rear space.
    Glad you got that "good feeling"! Need to see those pictures of that steering wheel on your car. By chance, does it have volume controls for the radio?
    That would be nice to have.

Scott

I have a similar project in the planning stage on my 89 525. I'm happy to see you are so pleased with yours.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Not multi-function. Just plain leather wrapped 4 spoke wheel that is smaller diamter compared to stock E34 wheel.

Pic here : http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/824698/3

(Note: The beauty of this is that I got the stock airbag installed and functional).

Oh, taking about the 89 525. I got one as well. I had E30 steering wheels on it. Even an 850 euro wheel (huge and heavy thing but fits, no airbag). Had the momo Race wheel for a long time. Latest is the E28 M steering. 3Spoke classic with slim M color stripes. Thats the best compromise. I did miss the Momo Race after I removed it to put in my wife's Toyota!. It feels better in the Toyota, its hers now.

E34 95 fitment is different I think. I am very happy with the feel. Great upgrade for $90 from a friend and 2 hours of my work effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C
    new thrust arms, shocks, tires - SWWWWWEEEET
    any pegs?
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJCaputo
    any pegs?
    Don't understand the question

Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast