GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: How does the horn work?

Default How does the horn work?

How does the airbag being pushed trip the horn? I am in the process of installing my new steering wheel and it has a different center and such, but I was wondering if anyone knew how the horn goes tripped. Any help?

push the BIG button in the middle of the wheel.

Should have been some sort of wire or connection im thinking. The old GM cars wad a single lead to the horn area and when pressed it just grounded and completed the circut. Doubt that helps at all though.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Jon, Since you had ALL those buttons in the multi-function wheel that is not doing anything, why not wire one of them (or all of them) to trigger the horn ?. he he

Ooops, I though I was turning down the volume of the stereo. Sorry!.

you don't need the horn Jon, just stick one of those stickers on your car that says "Horn Broken, Watch for Finger!"

a bit late but i am sure the jeff is correct,at one time my horn stopped working and all fuses and connetion to the horns looked ok,so i fiddled around with the horn boss on my mtech two wheel and the boss just popped off,there were springs and contacts in there,I cant rember exactly but when it went all back to gether it worked.......It seems ironic to me that you attempt and complete a project as complex as your touch screen and a horn is tough??????
    Gone but not forgotten

LOL, there has to be contact points in the airbag deal where you press it. It has to have some kind of wire so that it completes the circuit to the horns or at least the horn relays.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    a bit late but i am sure the jeff is correct,at one time my horn stopped working and all fuses and connetion to the horns looked ok,so i fiddled around with the horn boss on my mtech two wheel and the boss just popped off,there were springs and contacts in there,I cant rember exactly but when it went all back to gether it worked.......It seems ironic to me that you attempt and complete a project as complex as your touch screen and a horn is tough??????

I haven't had the time to look at it. I milled my E46 wheel on, obviously the connectors on the E34 wheel arent going to swap over to the E46 wheel. I know "how" it works, I need to know how to complete the circuit... is it a ground completion, a hot completion, etc.

ok jon i beleive the horn push completes the circuit to ground and in doing so activates the horn relay(s)
    Gone but not forgotten

just do it!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy